Author Topic: Character Hawthorn  (Read 6866 times)

Offline echatham

Re: Character Hawthorn
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 10:04:42 pm »

I don't know where your from but I would keep quiet about using power tools or someone's gonna chew your but out :D :D  >:D >:D
[/quote]

oh.... oops O:)  good point.......  well then run do not walk to the nearest obsidian flake and pry that thing off of there!     is that better?  ::)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 10:10:17 pm »
hey im right there with ya.  I try to stay on the receiving end of advice as i don't consider myself qualified to advise, although i have learned a hell of alot from these guys.  in this case though i have to offer some advise.... and that is simply.... listen to these guys, and run do not walk to the nearest power tool and remove that block of wood from the back of the bow!  ;) ;D

I don't know where your from but I would keep quiet about using power tools or someone's gonna chew your but out :D :D  >:D >:D

We will?  :o
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 12:04:06 am »
hey im right there with ya.  I try to stay on the receiving end of advice as i don't consider myself qualified to advise, although i have learned a hell of alot from these guys.  in this case though i have to offer some advise.... and that is simply.... listen to these guys, and run do not walk to the nearest power tool and remove that block of wood from the back of the bow!  ;) ;D

??? ??? ???

Offline 4dog

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:20 am »
 :o ??? :o ??? :o ??? :o ???  Fun game ,, whats our objective??
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 01:52:24 am »
Power tools are a big part of my bow making tool arsenal. Certainly not the only part, but they're definitely there.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »
im pretty sure we all use power tools from time to time. i know this is PRIMITIVE archer but were not cavemen lol

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 01:49:43 pm »
I don't use any power tools .......... Only because I don't have any lol otherwise I would use them wont even lie
I like osage

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 01:53:56 pm »
I'd imagine there would be a lot fewer members here if we didn't have chainsaws and bandsaws  ;D
45# at 27"

Don Case

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 02:04:48 pm »
If I had to chop down a tree using a stone axe it would be well seasoned before it hit the ground.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 06:05:47 pm »
I don't really use power tools because you don't really need them for sapling bows, but i'm not closed to them.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 07:07:31 pm »
I'm using a power tool right now and so are you if you are reading this. Now back to the stave.
You got your hands full for sure with that one. I have an ash stave presently that's going to need the reflex removed at some point. It has over 6" on one limb and 3" on the other. Some natural reflex I don't mind but not to that degree.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline dwardo

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 05:56:40 am »
I watch my good friend from a distance use his chainsaw to drop the bigger stuff. Only ever tried a bandsaw the once and it was way underpowered and i was useless.
Belt or disk sander comes in very handly for tips but i would not use one for tillering as i simply dont have the skill and very little decent wood that I would like to learn on.

So I carry on ruining cartridge and tendon with hand tools. PLus they are quieter so I can still make bows when my little lad goes to sleep  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 07:17:44 am »
Love my power tools. ??? ;) :) :) What Black Hawk said would be the way I would go. :)  Leather build up on the grip should work just fine.Looking forward to see what you come up with. Challenging stave to say the least,but you learn a lot from them kind of staves and suggest to all that hang around my shop to try them from time to time,it will defiantly make you a better bowyer in the long run,and this is a long run. :) ;) Good luck and keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good