Author Topic: question .... dental floss for bowstring ?  (Read 3893 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
question .... dental floss for bowstring ?
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:44:34 am »
I was flossing my teeth and it hit me.  Floss feels like it would work ... i could not break it it almost cut my finger off . Would this work ? I am broke and jobless right now and have a pacific yew elb with parachord on it !!! Its depressing
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline TimPotter

Re: question .... dental floss for bowstring ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:48:43 am »
Yes it works. say 8 strands double-braided. Basically it's the same thing as the artificial sinew they sell at craft-stores, except white. If I was in a pinch and needed to make a bow string I'd give it a whirl, I've made strings from the artificial sinew before when I was younger and it stretches to all heck at first, so it takes about 3 times stringing and shooting before you get the loops right. What could it hurt. You can still use wood splinters for your dental hygiene. :laugh:
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:25 am »
Test the breaking strain.
Multiply the draw weight of your bow by 4.
Divide that number by thebreaking value of the floss.
Split the answer into 2 or 3 and you've worked out the number of strands per ply needed to make a strong enough string.
Vital you do a breaking test first.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:44:12 am »
I know its hard, but please  be patient. I would hate to see a yew bow busted because of a crap string. Someone might donate a custom string or proven string material. Friends or relatives might help you out. You just don't risk a good bow of yew worth many hundreds of dollars over a couple of dollars of string material, as you will be devastated if something goes wrong.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:10:38 am »
Spyderwire fishing line is almost lthe same as FastFlight string, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:27:30 am »
Yes, Mullet is right, if you have it that is. Expensive, and it will not stretch. You pretty much do and endless loop and whip the ends and center. I tried it a few times in the past cause I needed something and didn't have the money.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline skarhand

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:59:11 am »
If you use the minty fresh kind it can also help cover your scent. :)

Offline Marks

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:20:25 am »
Do you have long hair? Apparently hair will make a bow string.  >:D
I'll sell you my beard for a reasonable price.  >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:25:33 am »
B50 is what $8-10 spool? That's cheaper than dental floss or fishing line.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:02:20 pm »
B50 is what $8-10 spool? That's cheaper than dental floss or fishing line.

I was going to say the same thing, once you bought enough floss to actually make a string, i think that B50 would actually be much cheaper.
45# at 27"

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:23:08 pm »
Thank you guys for the help . Last night . I posted in the trading post . ... and within an hour i recieved a calll from someone on here.  ( i was told not to advertize) and without asking for anything in trade ( which i offered sinew) he is sending me enough dacron to do five bows . I gave him all my measurments . He said he will do the math and hook me up . See . That is what i love about archery . And this site expecially . A bunch of stand up dudes ... no doubt . I am proud to be a member of pa. :) i think of all of you ad brothers .... yes there are going to be creative differences . But dude . We are all good people . And better than most at building bows . Thanks everyone and god bless .
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline echatham

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 04:28:28 pm »
do ya need some serving?

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:31 am »
Yeah actually . I do . But i am a broke man at the moment . I got some cow tendons ? But besides that . I dont have much . Oh and some small chunks of obsidian .to small and thick for arrowheads.  ( at least with my skiill)