Author Topic: got oak instead.  (Read 1543 times)

Offline BowSlayer

got oak instead.
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:25:51 pm »
first let me start by saying that if this is in the wrong section please move it. ok so many of you know a week ago i said i might be able to get my hands on some bamboo but it turned out that they stopped selling it :-[ but they agreed to take me to there stock of raw materials. they mostly had mahoghany but then i spoted three oak boards one had horribly wobbly grain and twist and tons of run off. the second was straight but had a huge knot halfway down what would be one limb which would leave me with about 4 1/2 ft the third was very straight with nice horrizontal growth rings 1/16" thick and no run out down the entire 62" length of the board and the best bit... i got it for free. :laugh: im halfway through roughing it out so once thats done ill post some pics. ;D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bushboy

Re: got oak instead.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:21:48 pm »
Mr slayer,seeing a bow in a board is half the battle!on plain sawn lumber there is usually some riff or quarter sawn in there somewhere if the tree was at all straight grained.I attached an albeit unreal illistration to give you the idea.hope this helps!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowSlayer

Re: got oak instead.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »
thank's bushboy for the drawing. thats what the grain looks like. except for the big bit down the middle.
London, England.

45#@28"