Author Topic: does this sound possible?  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Joec123able

Re: does this sound possible?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »
Ok you guys I get it you don't have to keep on
I like osage

Offline warpath

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 08:55:51 pm »
Bowslayer-  Sadly no pics as it's been over a year since I've made one. However, If you want to send me some of that flooring, (Enough for 2 bows,) I'll make them up and send one back to you.  >:D

G

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 11:25:24 pm »
I used it once in a tri-lam warbow as the core. I'll definitely do it again, but only as a core if it's flooring.

And... Joec123able... it's OK not to comment if you don't know. Lots of people have lots to talk about, but few have anything to say. Bamboo makes an excellent belly. I've never done it, but I've seen bows that have it and they've all been top shelf. I'm not pickin' on yah... just sayin' a closed mouth gathers no foot.  ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 11:32:04 pm »
I used it once in a tri-lam warbow as the core. I'll definitely do it again, but only as a core if it's flooring.

And... Joec123able... it's OK not to comment if you don't know. Lots of people have lots to talk about, but few have anything to say. Bamboo makes an excellent belly. I've never done it, but I've seen bows that have it and they've all been top shelf. I'm not pickin' on yah... just sayin' a closed mouth gathers no foot.  ;)

:P
I like osage

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 04:16:08 am »
Bowslayer-  Sadly no pics as it's been over a year since I've made one. However, If you want to send me some of that flooring, (Enough for 2 bows,) I'll make them up and send one back to you.  >:D

G

Sure.  If I get some then ill send you two. How wide do you want it?  Ill also have a go myself at making one. Thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline warpath

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 09:58:49 am »
Bowslayer-  The wider the better. No less than 2" though. PM me when you're able to get your hands on some and I'll send you my address.

G

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 04:36:21 pm »
Cool.  Thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 04:44:56 pm »
The shipping back and forth on that might get a bit expensive fellas. ;)  It seems to me, that Marc did an article on something similar.  Maybe it was that he glued some up similar to bamboo flooring.  My memory sucks now a days. Either way it might be something worth looking at.  Josh

Offline uklongbow

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »
Hi everyone ,Bowslayer, just make sure the flooring you get is the vertical type and not the horizontal type of flooring .
The horizontal tends to delaminate , the vertical works very well for middle laminations and ok for the belly .
A lot of makers use this and its called action boo.
 You can make real boo back, action boo core and real bamboo belly ,they normally use it as a lam in between
F+"%^ G*"$$  :-X ,
 sorry , cant be using that sort of language in a primitive forum ;)
Good luck
Roger

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 06:15:43 pm »
Yeah shipping might be expensive :-\ the boards im looking at are vertical grain so it might work. Gundoc do you have a link so I can check it out.  Thanks everyone for the replys :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 06:24:59 pm »
No, I sure don't.  If I did I would of put er up for your perusal.  It was in the mag a few years ago.  I don't have any idea how to go about looking it up either.  I do wish i could be of more help.  Josh

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:40 pm »
  The outer fibers on bamboo are stronger than the inner fibers. I have only seen a couple of James bows and they had the outer fibers on the belly. James is also a very advanced bowyer. I have played with bamboo boards as a belly wood and find it very average and prone to taking set like most other white woods, but I haven't played with that many as a belly wood so don't consider myself any kind of authority on it.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 09:37:19 pm »
I have some Bamboo flooring, billets, that I picked from a PA member named bowmonkey years ago.  The Bamboo that was used was no doubt from large diameter poles and most of the power fibers have been planed away.  Makes me suspect that not all Bamboo flooring are created equal.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com