Author Topic: Could you cut this in half just because you want a take down?  (Read 4480 times)

Offline gianluca100

Re: Could you cut this in half just because you want a take down?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:10 am »
personally I wouldn't cut it. Such a nice, long yew stave is just too nice, regardless of the $-value.
but that's just me. you do what you feel best  :)

ciao,
gian-luca

Offline dwardo

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 06:37:21 am »
I'd leave it full length.  My question is, what makes you think the sapwood needs thinning? Looks perfect to me.  I wouldn't risk creating a weakness by reducing sapwood that's already as thin as that.  Can't be more than 1/2" can it?

The picture is a little miss-leading the sapwood is over 3/4 inch thick in most places. Maybe warbow kind of weights would leave me with plenty of heartwood but at my kind of weight I would end up with just sapwood. Yew sapwood is one of those where you dont "have to" follow one ring, although I will try my best.

Offline WillS

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 07:13:58 am »
Gotcha.  Yeah I agree with you if that's the case! Good luck with whatever you choose to do with it!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 08:04:05 am »
I tried to think of a good analogy for this question.  Picture this scenario:  You are a primitive man living in an area where there are very few arrow material long enough without sharp bends that will not straighten.  You are in the process of making a basket of some sort using material about the same diameter of an arrow for the structure.  You only need a 15" piece for the basket.  Your walking and happen upon a rare shoot shaft that is 30" long and straight.  Do you think this guy would cut arrow in half because he wants a basket?  I think he will make an arrow out of that shaft and find more of the common 15" sticks for his basket.

lol i tried :)
Aim Small...Hit Small