Author Topic: Hickory question?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Re: Hickory question?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 08:47:05 am »
Here's what I mean... Excuse an ex-architect for using dimensions, but its how I think, and I've been building enough pyramid bows here lately to know that it works. Here's my disclaimer though: Yeah, every wood is different, and you'll have some differences given grain orientation and how you work it into a bow, but if you end up with something like this, then you'll have around a 35-40 pounder with hickory. Oak is a little less. This example turned out to be 34# with a beautiful oak board. Your hickory will obviously be a tad heavier. Like I said earlier, if you want it heavier, keep the same dimensions, but cut the length to 62"
Good plan. I do prefer a 66ntn so if ya go 5/8 you will end up close to 50-55 if 5/8 is your finished thickness. Assuming the piece of wood is the same as the log I made mine out of.

So you taper the thickness from 5/8 at the fades to 1/2 at the tips with a pyramid bow?
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Hickory question?
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 05:30:57 pm »
Here's what I mean... Excuse an ex-architect for using dimensions, but its how I think, and I've been building enough pyramid bows here lately to know that it works. Here's my disclaimer though: Yeah, every wood is different, and you'll have some differences given grain orientation and how you work it into a bow, but if you end up with something like this, then you'll have around a 35-40 pounder with hickory. Oak is a little less. This example turned out to be 34# with a beautiful oak board. Your hickory will obviously be a tad heavier. Like I said earlier, if you want it heavier, keep the same dimensions, but cut the length to 62"
Good plan. I do prefer a 66ntn so if ya go 5/8 you will end up close to 50-55 if 5/8 is your finished thickness. Assuming the piece of wood is the same as the log I made mine out of.

So you taper the thickness from 5/8 at the fades to 1/2 at the tips with a pyramid bow?
No,
5/8 the entire length is your starting point for thickness for floor tiller, if the bow feels a little stiff shave it down some from there. I like extra wood as it is easier to take wood off than put it on :) I don't have a pair of mics but they end up being consistent thickness the entire length of about 5/8 for 55/60 lb bow.