Author Topic: Osage Haul  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Osage Haul
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:43:42 pm »
Ok so I drug out 3 logs of Osage that has been down a while.  The prime log was worthless.  It was full of bugs and termites to the core.  Others I got a couple of spliceable resawn staves out of.  Unfortunately i think I messed it up.  I think I should have quarter sawn it all and I flat sawed it.  Some sections have short run out and old cracks.  I'm not certain I'll get more than 3-4 good bows out of it.  Then I ruined another pair by the idiotic way I tried to saw it.  All of it was bark off. So it's been there a while.  I'm not even certain it if is viable bow wood.  I see guys make bows from buried posts.

However I went back on those trails and I found something interesting.  A HUGE Osage tree was down.  some smaller pieces available and I've been dragging a large log the 1 mile hike up hill down hill over the rickety bridge back to the parking lot.  It is still green and bark on.

that I'll resaw and quarter saw for bamboo backing.  Should get a nice supply of wood for bows.  However the REST OF THE TRUNK is up there.  It is LONG.  I think if I cut it onto 40" sections I could roll them out a few at a time.  Diameter is >12". 

What is the most efficient man powered way to cut that?

thanks,

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Osage Haul
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:47:09 pm »
I would cut em in six foot sections then split them into halves or quarters on site.
Then hump em out a piece at a time.

A Crosscut Saw would be my Human Powered choice.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Marks

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 03:29:11 pm »
Yeah I'd split it on the trail. That way you can make full length staves and hike out the best ones till you get tired of hiking. Man that stuff is heavy.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 01:34:54 am »
I resaw/mill lumber.  I don't really split staves.

Found MORE out there.  And nice cherry log  :o

Sawed that log into rough quarters.  Only messed up my cut a little bit :-[

Making a new resaw quarter sawing sled tomorrow.  Should have some back able staves ready soon.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:05:55 am »
Nnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Please don't cut a beautiful osage tree into boards  :'(

Seriously though, I would split it into quarters and haul it out.  Good osage staves are worth the effort.  If you don't want to work with staves I'm sure you could trade them for something good.  Post some pictures of whatever you get from it and good luck. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:28:17 am »
My stupid Logosol milling attachment seems not to be working.  It gets stuck at about 6"=12" and wont cut further.  >:(

Milled it ALL on my bandsaw.    going back for a bit more later.  I don't like working with staves. AND splicing them helps create a more balanced bow.

Check out the videos on Bickerstaff Bows for their process.  That is what I do.