Author Topic: Osage Longbow  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Osage Longbow
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:12 pm »
I know since I'm in the Pacific NW I shouldn't be messing with orange wood but... O:)  I got this stave when I was in high school and made my second bow from part of it (it was a wide stave) and I've lost it through moves, regained it, let it sit til it was dark brown...it's been about 10 years of gaining skills and such but...I'm stuck and I need some guidance.  I wasn't worried at the time about saving what was left at the time ( I've become a hoarder since then), so I ended up having a spot that ended up at 1 1/8" about 8" from where the fade would be.  I've left it full length at 67 1/8", and chased a ring around a knot.  I think I've got her pretty well cleaned up and ready to start any of you osage guys what do you think is that too much wood around that knot?  Question, it's kind of twisted but I still want to try an ELB from Osage, I was just going to go ahead and do a flat bow but with 1 1/8" width is that do-able for a 65-70# at 28"?  I've got at least 3/4" to work with in thickness and from what I've read it doesn't take much osage.  Seems like the sister bow ended up way light but I was a super-boob too so...what do you guys think ELB or flat bow?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Osage Longbow
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:41 pm »
Bit short for an ELB unless you are 5'9" ?
IMO an ELB should be the same height as the archer maybe an inch (or 2 at a real push) less and taller if it's high weight or long draw.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »
Don't you dare bring that dirty yella wood into my woods ;)

Should turn out nice. Make those tips narrow:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:22:09 pm »
I'm a lil over 5'8" so I tell the ladies 5'9"  Del ;)  I draw 27" but was gonna tiller out to 28".  Not a proper ELB I suppose  :embarassed: just a smaller replica for hunting some elk.  I'd like to think I can pull it off Bryce, we'll see if we can keep 'em down to pinky size. 

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
That's plenty of wood to make an American style longbow; or you could reduce it down to 62" or so and make a very decent hunting bow. 1 1/8" wide at 8" above the handle is wide enough.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:21 pm »
I nice flatbow would be your best bet. Maybe cut it down to 64" ntn (66" tip-to-tip)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
I nice flatbow would be your best bet. Maybe cut it down to 64" ntn (66" tip-to-tip)

+1

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:36:54 am »
I'm a lil over 5'8" so I tell the ladies 5'9"  Del ;)  I draw 27" but was gonna tiller out to 28".  Not a proper ELB I suppose  :embarassed: just a smaller replica for hunting some elk.  I'd like to think I can pull it off Bryce, we'll see if we can keep 'em down to pinky size.
No no no no no !!!!
That's fine for an ELB...
It would have justy looked wrong if you were 6'4"   :o
I'm just finishing one for a guy about your size, it's 67.5" tip to tip (the horn nocks add about 1"), I recon it will really look the part.
It's also pretty fast, it feels really hard to string... boo backed pacific Yew.
I just don't like loooooong ELBs at a short draw... it looks like they haven't moved from brace >:D
It's all about proportion.
Del
(I'm 5'10" myself so I tend to keep my own bows down to about 70" )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:47:23 am »
I wouldn't leave any of that wood you have around the knot. Looks like a good piece of osage.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:48:32 pm »
  At 70# I would use a slight bend through the handle design but not the rounded belly of an elb. I like a nice well rounded radius on the edges.