Author Topic: Lets hear about your Most Epic/Embarassing/Ridiculous Misses  (Read 7158 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Lets hear about your Most Epic/Embarassing/Ridiculous Misses
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 09:42:39 pm »
I am breaking at least three Bro Rules doing this, but I gotta tell this one on someone that lurks in here from time to time but does not post.  We'll call him, uh, let's see...oh! Wee Willy!  *snicker*

Me and Wee Willy (WW from here out) went turkey hunting.  I was not feeling particularly good about my archery accuracy, so i loaded the dbl bbl 10 ga. black powder caplock and he packed up his bow.  WW had been practicing all winter on a second hand foam turkey target.  He practiced from every angle, sitting against a tree, kneeling, standing, to the left, to the right, uphill and down.  He was getting amazingly good with his first self bow, Old Mexican Propeller. 

I get him right up under the roost, no more than 30 yds from the main tree, and we are there at least 45 minutes before legal shooting hours.  Not a peep outa the birds, not a one knows we are here.  At dawn they start to pitch down out of the trees, about 20 hens and 5 mature gobblers.  They move uphill to us and we are literally surrounded by birds in high strut!  We got gobblers double and triple gobbling, hens on all sides purring their hearts out.  Finally they start up the hill to the left on the single track trail.  The last bird to go is the largest gobbler of the bunch, hooked spurs and a paintbrush for a beard.  He is in full strut and as he goes past WW he leaves himself wide open to being nailed.

WW slowly brings up his bow arm and being right handed, this is a perfect set up for him as the birds move to the left.  The gobbler is at 10 yds, full strut, every tailfeather is pointing at the point of aim....his butt, heart of the vitals.  WW hits full draw and I am slowly letting out my breath getting ready to take a giant lungful of fresh mountain air so I can yell my congratulations.  He hits anchor and his fingers relax that half a degree that allows the string to slip away.  His hand never leaves anchor, his bow arm does not waver, but the string catches his heavy camo jacket somewhere up near the left collar and slowly scrapes itself down the heavy sleeve to his wrist.  The encoumbered arrow lobs out at least 5, maybe 6 ft where the point makes a tiny puff of dust as it hits the ground moving slightly faster than a caterpillar with fallen arches.

The gobbler hears this odd sound and folds his fan, looking back over his shoulder.  WW is frozen, not even an eyeblink as he chants under his breath, "I am a tree, I am a rock, I am a bush, I am nothing dangerous to turkeys."  Time stands still.  Then a soft hen yelp and BAM! the fan is wide open as the trophy bird double gobbles in response...BUT STILL STANDS THERE UNMOVING!!!

I whisper, "Nock another arrow now, he can't see you".  To which, WW quietly whispers, "Only brought the one."

It wasn't until we were back to the vehicle when I remembered I was packing the double 10 loaded for grizz. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:12 pm »
Good story JW
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline autologus

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 09:47:28 am »
I was shooting a 3D tournament a couple years ago with a wheelie bow and using a T-handle release, I drew back and was taking aim and the release slipped out of my grip and ricocheted off the riser and whizzed by my head at an alarming rate of speed and nailed my buddy standing behind me in the groin.  It was not a good day, I folded him up and destroyed a $120.00 release.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
I was shooting a 3D tournament a couple years ago with a wheelie bow and using a T-handle release, I drew back and was taking aim and the release slipped out of my grip and ricocheted off the riser and whizzed by my head at an alarming rate of speed and nailed my buddy standing behind me in the groin.  It was not a good day, I folded him up and destroyed a $120.00 release.

Grady
LMBO!! I just shot coffee outa my nose! Why are groin shots so funny to every one that dont get them? ;D... Hope your buddy recovered alright... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 11:52:53 am »
Good grief! I hope you bought him lunch after that...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 09:36:03 pm »

Grady
LMBO!! I just shot coffee outa my nose! Why are groin shots so funny to every one that dont get them? ;D... Hope your buddy recovered alright... Brian

Search for the song "Trauma To The Groin" by Heywood Banks for a laugh.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline autologus

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 10:20:54 am »
Good grief! I hope you bought him lunch after that...

I didn't buy him lunch but I did go back to a strap on wrist release for his peace of mind and bodily safety.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.