Author Topic: antler dogs?!  (Read 3425 times)

Offline wildman

Re: antler dogs?!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 05:02:09 pm »
IMOP I would not waste the$$$$$ on fake antlers and the like. I have trained a few dogs. I have owned a few UKC titled labs.
I always find it best to use the real deal be it dead birds,pigeons, tree rats ,coons,antlers etc. Nothing works like the real deal.
JW hit the nail on the head reward them like they just brought you the winning powerball ticket and all will go well. The book Water Dog has a great section on blinds use antlers instead of dummies. I wish I could post video on here I would do a little demo on how to start.

Keith
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 06:55:31 pm »
Unless, of course, your goal is to have them to retrieve plastic antlers!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 09:21:49 pm »
IMOP I would not waste the$$$$$ on fake antlers and the like. I have trained a few dogs. I have owned a few UKC titled labs.
I always find it best to use the real deal be it dead birds,pigeons, tree rats ,coons,antlers etc. Nothing works like the real deal.
JW hit the nail on the head reward them like they just brought you the winning powerball ticket and all will go well. The book Water Dog has a great section on blinds use antlers instead of dummies. I wish I could post video on here I would do a little demo on how to start.

Keith

Keith, youtube it.  Who knows, might be a big hit.

I agree, but for those who do not have the real thing yet, the rubber antler and scent is good for starters.  It does seem to work though.

Offline wildman

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:17 pm »
Mike, PM me your info and I will send ya a few starter antlers.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 10:07:01 am »
On one episode of Mountain Men from last year they were using a dog to find antlers for them, I think it was a springer spaniel

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
On one episode of Mountain Men from last year they were using a dog to find antlers for them, I think it was a springer spaniel

Kevin

My dad told me about that same episode.  Wish I could have seen it.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »
I have a German Shepherd and have done scent training with her and it is all about praise and reward. Like said a specific reward for the task. Something they never get unless they preform the task.  Every couple of days hide some antler for them to find, keep it fresh in their head.  All dogs smell well enough for this, it is just a matter of drive and handler.

Offline Marks

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 01:07:18 pm »
Get on youtube. Shed dogs is a fast upcoming sport. They have field trials for it now. Lee and Tiffany Lacoski on the outdoor channel did an episode on their shed dog. It was real neat.