Author Topic: What Should My Next Bow Be?  (Read 2687 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
What Should My Next Bow Be?
« on: August 28, 2013, 02:16:06 pm »
It seems like i get stuck building the same type of bow because i get comfortable with it and it's hard to move away from something you've had success with, however, this means i'm not trying new things. So I thought i'd put it to a vote what my next bow should be. A lot of these things I have not done yet but that doesn't matter I want to start trying new things. I am only listing materials that I have on hand with the exception of skins. To vote just list your wood choice and design considerations. For the design considerations you can list more than one.

Also, i'll try to do this as a build along as much as i can.

Wood: I have seasoned staves of
1. Osage
2. Hophornbeam
3. Hickory

Design Considerations
1. Bendy handle
2. Stiff handle
3. Straight limbs
4. Recurve - Static
5. Recurve - Working
6. R/D
7. No backing
8. Sinew backing
9. Skin backing
10. One piece
11. Take down

Thought this might be a fun change of pace, thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What Should My Next Bow Be?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:25:30 pm »
Build an osage static. It will teach you all kinds of stuff you can carry to future builds. Plus they flat out shoot nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »
Howabout a levered bow.....LOL.You got the right kind of wood to do em there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:10:47 pm »
R/D Hickory backed osage with a hophornbeam core to use all your woods listed...;)  ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 03:15:23 pm »
Now that's just plain over kill.....LOL,but a quick solution that's for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »
R/D Hickory backed osage with a hophornbeam core to use all your woods listed...;)  ;D

I knew someone was going to suggest using everything...a one piece takedown :-\
45# at 27"

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:24:33 pm »
how about a sinew backed osage r/d about 58-60" long
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:39:45 pm »
Do whatever you want
I like osage

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:51:44 pm »
Would love to have a say in the bow that comes out of a certain stave but i never do.
Usually there is something wrong in the stave that dictates the design. I rarely get a look-in.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »
A sinew backed osage bend in the handle molly with flipped tips and as short as you dare,bet it would shoot like a rocket.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:59 pm »
Dwardo made my point.  I let the wood dictate the bows shape.  Some will be great for one design and no good for another.  Trying to jam a square peg into a round hole is sure to be frustrating.  Pick your stave and then pick your style.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »
Build an R/D or a takedown using Hophornbeam and/or Hickory.  I'am just finishing up a 3 piece takedown.
The sweet thing with 3 pc. tkdwn's is I will build 2 different lenght risers and use the same limbs on both.
And I will also build 3 limbs in the event of failure. It really does not get any sweeter, in the event of limb breakage simply install the 3rd,         ITS A NO BRAINER""
Will post pics soon.  Only tried one R/D but if your'e engineering skills are good and everything goes well, I hear that the tillering is next to nill, this is what has peaked my interest...... ;D

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:04 pm »
 Thanks  for the input guys. I understand the comments about doing what i want and following the wood, that's just not why i posted this, i thought it would be fun to have some outside input on my next build. To be clear i have multiple staves of these woods. If the consensus is an Osage static with sinew backing I'll pick the best stave for the job.
45# at 27"

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:40:28 pm »
I would suggest a paddle bow similar to the wampanog dimentions. I made one very similar and it is a real sweet shooter. I am working on another but it is a little wider in the limbs. I used hickory but if I had I would use osage.
I'm working on getting a few osage staves in trade for a bow ;) If I get the osage the two designs will be a stiff handled molly type and a wampanog.
Greg

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 04:37:17 am »
Thanks  for the input guys. I understand the comments about doing what i want and following the wood, that's just not why i posted this, i thought it would be fun to have some outside input on my next build. To be clear i have multiple staves of these woods. If the consensus is an Osage static with sinew backing I'll pick the best stave for the job.

Wow nice position to be in. I have been playing with DR shapes recently on poor wood that wil never make a decent weight bow but it teaches the design. With some of the character shal we say staves I have in don't get the choice. If I get a long thin sraight stave then it's an elb as I rarely get to make them due to a lack of suitable timber.