Author Topic: Why can't I scrape bamboo rind off without getting little nicks everywhere?  (Read 5220 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Why can't I scrape bamboo rind off without getting little nicks everywhere?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 09:25:27 am »
Well thanks to everybody on here, (really, thanks, these nicks were very annoying)I have finally got rid of these little nicks pretty much completely! What I was doing was going back and forth with the scrapper, and when I went back I was jamming the bur into the bamboo a bit. After switching to only pulling the scrapper toward me, while gently touching the bur down before pulling as to avoid hitting the bamboo with the bur, I finally have a clean perfect bamboo back after scrapping the rind! Thanks yall. I am all kinds of stoked, you have no idea, haha.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline cdpbrewer

Re: Why can't I scrape bamboo rind off without getting little nicks everywhere?
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 05:56:39 pm »
Great suggestions- especially Dances with Squirrel's and Mike's paint spraying analogy.  One more:  Alternate the lateral angle of your scraper as you run it it down the rind and multiple strokes with light pressure in each area scraped.   That way if a nick starts, it'll be minor and subsequent scrapes will erase it and won't deepen it or create a washboard effect. 

c.d.