Author Topic: Dumb Question...  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Dumb Question...
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:43:06 am »
OK, here's a dumb question...

I just finished making 2 red oak board bows. (sorry no pics yet, maybe I'll have some this evening) They're both pyramid bows, one is 34# @ 26" (for my wife) and the other is 62# @ 28" (for me for hunting black bear this year). So, I put my 62# oak board bow up against a 55# bamboo backed hickory flatbow that I bought from 3 Rivers Archery, and although the accuracy is the same, my pyramid bow absolutely SMOKES that flatbow in speed...  :o

Here's the dumb question...  What advantage (if any) does one bow type have over another? That is, a Pyramid bow vs a flatbow...

FYI:
Red Oak, 34# @ 26"
66" NTN
4 1/2" long handle with 2" long fades
fades are 2" wide, nocks are 1/2" wide
limbs are 15/32" thick

Red Oak, 60# @ 28"
62" NTN
4 1/2" long handle with 1 3/4" long fades
fades are 2 1/2" wide, nocks are 5/8" wide
limbs are 1/2" thick
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Dumb Question...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:15 am »
Its the builder more than the style in my opinion. Sure, some styles lend themselves to speed. But any style bow built and tillered with expert hands can make a fast bow. In my opinion its the undue stresses put upon the wood as your building that will dictate speed, all other things being equal.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:49:08 am »
Dumb answer:   I don't know  ???  ::)     too many variables to list

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:56:29 am »
Its the builder more than the style in my opinion. Sure, some styles lend themselves to speed. But any style bow built and tillered with expert hands can make a fast bow. In my opinion its the undue stresses put upon the wood as your building that will dictate speed, all other things being equal.

No kidding... I've made so much kindling in learning how to make these bows that my tillering process has now involved me exercising the bow at least 40 times before I move to the next notch on my tillering stick and between each wood removal. So far, It's worked out great, but can be quite the workout for a heavier bow!
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

that my tillering process has now involved me exercising the bow at least 40 times before I move to the next notch on my tillering stick and between each wood removal. So far, It's worked out great, but can be quite the workout for a heavier bow!

I did the same 40 pulls and it left me gasping for breath. I wasn't sure if the bow has getting weaker or I was getting stronger.
Don

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:02 am »
Lol... the original bow flex...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 02:58:49 am »
I had always considered a pyramid bow to be basically a flat bow....
I like osage

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 03:16:43 am »
Lol... the original bow flex...

That is priceless AND true :D,
@ Joec, There are subtle differences, to me the grip specifically, but... yup.
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.