Author Topic: Old is New again...  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Old is New again...
« on: August 09, 2013, 03:35:56 pm »
with this old shotgun.  This was one of the first guns my father gave me almost 30 years ago to "learn" how to dove hunt.  It's an old Remington 11-48 and to a 11 year old, it weighed a ton lugging it around a dove field.  Needless to say, I didn't take the best care of it and after all this time it showed it's age.  I've been wanting to make a tactical shotgun here lately but don't care for pumps.  Found a thread on a forum where a fellow was turning his 11-48 into a home defense gun for his wife and that's when I remembered my old 11-48.  The 11-48 was basically designed by John Browning based on the Browning Auto 5 that the military used in WWII to great affect.  Remington redesigned the receiver which is the basic design that most auto and pump shotguns are now based on.  In fact, the world famous 870 is based on the 11-48 except in pump action with the 1100 and 11-87 following in hopes of using the same design in gas operation.  The 11-48 has no rings or seals to dry out.  In fact, the 11-48 was designed to run dry except of a drop or two of oil in the trigger group. 

As to the build, I caught a break in that if it was built for the 870 or 1100, it'll fit the 11-48 with a little modification.  I added synthetic stocks, oversized safety and bolt handle, and had a custom door breacher made for the barrel.  Cut the barrel off at 18.5".  Took it to the range and it shoot an well dispersed 12" group with 00 buck at 10 yards.  Enjoy!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Old is New again...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »
That's a badass looking gun. Very nice makeover.

Jon

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:40:42 pm »
Sexy.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:09:50 pm »
very nice piece of equipment!

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 05:12:47 pm »
Nice !!!
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:35:29 pm »
Boy, you resurrected that Baby, Chris, that's sweet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:50:05 pm »
NICE!!! point and demolish
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 02:27:04 am »
     Ooooh BUBA, we is in da wrong house!  Feets don't fail me now!  Man that is sweet!  Excellent job! :o 8) 8)  I had an old 11-48 once.  I gave it a Latin name.  Kickus the snotus out of youus!  Shot great, but man did it ever kick!  I sold it, and went back to my Ithaca Model 37.
I have an 870  3 inch magnum, with an 18" barrel, with a pistol gripped shoulder stock combo.  I like the stock and pistol grip, because you can hold it with one hand, with the stock under your arm pit.  I am putting a multi rail on it for a light, and laser.   You did that up just slicker than snot on a door knob!  Where did you get the rail, and door breacher at?

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:37:56 pm by stickbender »

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 07:41:45 pm »
thanx guys!  this was a labor of love for sure.  i had thought about buying a couple more and tricking them out like this one but i'd have to charge $800 with all the work and customizing that went into this one.  just inletting the forestock took a couple hours to fit the 11-48.  breaking it all the way down, sandblasting, cerakoting, and putting it all back together was a ton of fun also.  i found the forestock and breacher on eb*y with the rail already on it.  contacted the fellow about the breacher and had him custom make one to fit the barrel.  told him to make it as bad ass as he could.  if i get some extra time, i'm planning on redoing my 870 with a collapsible stock and magpul foregrip.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:47:30 pm »
Nice build, Chris. Looking forward to shooting living hell out of something with it in a couple weeks. Now, just don't go pimping up  that Mountain Rifle and the Sharps with black stocks and Picatinney rails....:)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:07:04 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:29:21 pm »
Steve, that Sharps would be SWEET with a clip on front grip and push button pop down Bi-Pod. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 08:49:46 am »
Sweet,love it,been wondering where you been.Good to see ya back posting. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good