Author Topic: Hickory stave  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Hickory stave
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »
So I came upon a hickory stave. Shagbark hickory. I really don't wanna mess it up, so what advice do u guys have to get the bark off? Also when I lay it out can I just draw the shape or should I follow if its bent?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory stave
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:06:03 am »
As always, pics really help us help you.
 If the stave was summer cut the bark may just pop off. If it was winter cut you will have to remove the outer bark, inner bark and then scrape the cambium off. The wood underneith is pure white.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:15:28 am »
Ill take a pic tonight. It's 8ft + long so I have some room to mess it up lol. It doesn't just peal off so I'm guessing winter cut. I really wanna make a static recurve from it. ( I don't know why but I want a static recurve very badly) I just think they're sexy. Ill have more questions later once I get into it I'm very sure. Thanks

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:38:16 am »
Ill take a pic tonight. It's 8ft + long so I have some room to mess it up lol. It doesn't just peal off so I'm guessing winter cut. I really wanna make a static recurve from it. ( I don't know why but I want a static recurve very badly) I just think they're sexy. Ill have more questions later once I get into it I'm very sure. Thanks
they are sexy and hard to make
I like free stuff.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:28:31 am »
So this is the stave. Quite hefty. Some knots.

And I'm quite sure they r hard to make. Everyone makes it look so easy. Someday. That's all I can't tell myself