Author Topic: Bow weight  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Moggy

Bow weight
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:29:15 am »
You hear it a lot, "I'm working up to" or, "How much do I need to kill an Elk or Deer", etc.

Too much Bow weight is often a problem that causes injury or long term problems like TP or Bad form habits.

The fact is; You probably just do not need to work your way into heavier weight Bows if you can shoot 40-45 pounds comfortably.
Your success rate will go up with a Bow you can handle comfortably and chances are your accuracy will go up!

I have killed Elk with 44 pounds,,yes but, I had my equipment tuned and my arrows matched my Bow. I also shot it very well because I COULD HANDLE it well.

You know being overbowed is a real problem and knowing when you are is also wisdom. Shoot what you shoot most consistently and DO NOT overdo your shooting. Shoot for quality practice and do it with a Bow that you handle well.

You know you should be able to hold at anchor for at least a few seconds without being overly fatigued. You may need to draw and hold a few seconds on a Turkey or a Deer,,,maybe even a Squirrel. Shoot the poundage you can shoot comfortably and your shooting ability will increase.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bow weight
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:29:23 am »
Good advice,45-50 for me,plenty for what I hunt. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:30:23 pm »
You are preaching to lifetime members of that particular choir. 

BUT, in preperation to shooting the 50 lb bow I am insanely comfortable with, I have been shooting some bows up to 61 lbs of draw.  And I am not particularly trying to shoot them with hunting accuracy, but rather concentrating on getting a smooth draw and anchor.  Once I have made a couple dozen easy releases at these heavy weight shots, I go back to the bow I am going to be hunting with and shoot a few arrows.  What I am doing is building up the muscles that have been atrophied by not shooting for over a year...kinda like running in sand to build muscle.

There are people that think I am training myself to shoot heavy weight bows poorly.  Fact is, the first three arrows from the heavy bow I shot this morning were all touching fletching.  Starting to think maybe I outa be junting with THAT bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 12:36:12 am »
I have no problem drawing and shooting fairly heavy bows, but favor bows in the 45 - 50lb weight for hunting.  What I can do warmed up and shooting in the backyard is just not the same as on a hunt where I might be drawing one arrow after sitting like a statue, getting cold and stiff.    I find lighter weight bows to be much quieter too. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:33:59 am »
I like 50-55 pounds which really is overkill for hunting but I'm just comfortable with it
I like osage

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 01:57:05 am »
I like 45-50# bows.  The last 3 I made for myself are 47#.  I do have a 57# hickory bow that I shoot well once I've built up my muscle a bit.  But, I'm with you about needing a bow you can draw after sitting in a treestand or ground blind for a couple hours, dressed in winter clothing on 20 degree morning.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 01:04:20 pm »
Although I am not surprised when people are "overbowed".  Pick up ANY hunting magazine and you will see every article in the magazine touting calibers that overgun people on deer!!!  Since when does a 160 lb deer need a bloody 7mm mag????  I have seen every form of mil-spec body armor available for sale over the internet for every possible need EXCEPT THOSE THAT FIT DEER?  I have butchered deer and have yet to see that they have cross bred with wild boar to develope a gristle shield over their vitals.  They do not have elephant genes causing their hides to grow 2 inches thick.  Gimme a .243 if you are gonna make me give up my .50 cal with a lite charge of 70 grains.  If the deer is too far, I will continue to stalk.  This is not warfare and I am not a sniper.  It's called hunting.

Surrending soapbox, I'm done....for now!   >:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:37:29 pm »
 Personally I shot 60 to 65 pound bows for 25 or more years. I had 2 strokes in 06 I droped back to 50 #'s after 2years. I've worked back up to 60#'s.
  HERE'S A LITTLE TEST.
  I do all my shooting off stools and prearranged milk creates.
  Get a stool ,chair and draw and shoot from it. It only takes a couple shots. If you don't let your manhood come into play. You'll know after a couple shots if your struggling or drawing and releasing with ease.
 If you are drop down 5#s a couple,few months through the summer. He's right ,back in thelate 70's through the 80's I shot compounds for 11 years. And me and my friends all shot 70,80#'s. Heck I shot 85#'s for 2 years. We all did shoot heavy arrows 2216's I even shot some 2320 before.
  I've shot 2 buck straight on brisket and came out hind quarters. DID'NT MATTER THE ANGLE ONES ADVANAGE OF HIGH POUNDS.
  He's right if your not shooting 70 #'s and 325 ,350 fps now, well your just not in the click. You won't pick up any bow mag and here of anyone shooting 45,50 pounds
  SHOOT WHATS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU,FORGET YOUR FRIENDS AND ALL THE HIPE
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Moggy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:05:57 am »
I agree,,shoot as much as you can handle and shoot accurately. Shooting style may also be a changer if you are a snap shooter. I draw and hold, pull through with some expansion and have to shoot a lighter set up with my style. If I were a snap shooter/instinctive? I am a split vision shooter/gap and have to hold a second or so to aim before I shoot.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:26:27 am »
Not to hijack,but seeing as we agree you don't need a heavy weight bow to hunt, how dose arrow weight factor in?
I like free stuff.

Offline Moggy

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:21:48 am »
More is always better BUT,,,,10 grains a pound of Bow weight works on most medium stuff unless it's Hogs. Primitive Bows I'd say can use at least the 10 grain rule and more if the Archer shoots close like he should for hunting. Spine and tuning is a factor but there are some hardwood shafts that give you both weight and spine in the smaller diameters. I have killed WT's with PO and two blade heads and have never had a problem with penetration. I like as heavy an arrow as I can shoot for Elk ,,usually 550 or more no matter the poundage. I have some 11/32nd PO's that are soaked with heavy oil and really shoot good full length "31" out of my 44 pound longbow. Heavy arrows and two blade heads are friggin Magnums!

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 01:00:38 pm »
Personally I shot 60 to 65 pound bows for 25 or more years. I had 2 strokes in 06 I droped back to 50 #'s after 2years. I've worked back up to 60#'s.
  HERE'S A LITTLE TEST.
  I do all my shooting off stools and prearranged milk creates.
  Get a stool ,chair and draw and shoot from it. It only takes a couple shots. If you don't let your manhood come into play. You'll know after a couple shots if your struggling or drawing and releasing with ease.
 If you are drop down 5#s a couple,few months through the summer. He's right ,back in thelate 70's through the 80's I shot compounds for 11 years. And me and my friends all shot 70,80#'s. Heck I shot 85#'s for 2 years. We all did shoot heavy arrows 2216's I even shot some 2320 before.
  I've shot 2 buck straight on brisket and came out hind quarters. DID'NT MATTER THE ANGLE ONES ADVANAGE OF HIGH POUNDS.
  He's right if your not shooting 70 #'s and 325 ,350 fps now, well your just not in the click. You won't pick up any bow mag and here of anyone shooting 45,50 pounds
  SHOOT WHATS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU,FORGET YOUR FRIENDS AND ALL THE HIPE

I know this is a bit of a tangent but I think Ted Nugent shoots 50# in a compound. That's lightweight in the compound world for a male but I bet he kills more animals per year than 98% of hunters. Most seem like clean kills and good shot placement. He preaches shoot what you can handle, use a sharp point, shot placement and lots of practice.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »
My favourite Hunting Bow since 1998 is a 54# Brigalow Selfbow. Hunting Arrows for this Bow are in the 570 gr Range. Recently a long term Shoulder Injury has been giving me grief so at present I am Tillering myself a Bloodwood Bow I hope to bring in at 42#. I have a 42# Brigalow Selfbow I shoot Targets with that does not stir up my shoulder too much. The finish is too pretty to Hunt hence the new Bow. Arrows for this Bow are lighter naturally but still in the 11 - 12 grains per pound of draw weight range. Real dense Sitka Spruce 125 gr 2 blade heads 4 fletched

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »
I can shoot up to 70# and stick arrows in a plate at 15 yards, but my main bow and the one  shoot best is a 40# recurve. I can stack arrows in a 3-4" circle at 30 yards and the draw is smoooooooth.. With a well tuned heavy 500 grain arrow and razor sharp 2 blade, I would have no problem taking deer or small hogs.

Jon

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 06:37:40 pm »
i like 60#. with lighter bows i feels like my form is just too loose and sloppy. with heavier bows im kind of forced to use proper form and i feel more solid, more steady.