Author Topic: Who else uses Zinsser Bull's Eye Shellac in the spray can?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Who else uses Zinsser Bull's Eye Shellac in the spray can?
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:15:01 pm »
I have really been enjoying using this product, love the way I can lay up 6 coats in under an hour.  Great stuff....but!

Lately I have been getting an "orange peel" effect when I spray it down.  I thought maybe the nozzle wasn't properly cleaned the last time I used it, so I went and bought a new can with fresh nozzle.  Still orange peel. 

What's the trick to getting a smoother finish?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Who else uses Zinsser Bull's Eye Shellac in the spray can?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:18:58 pm »
Very fine grit sand paper between the last coat or two
I like osage

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »
JMHO, but spay cans are a waste of finish. you overspray to much and don't have enough control.
I just use liquid shellac in a can and patch of soft cotton and apply the shellac in one light pass.  repeat as needed.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:35:37 am »
has it been hot JW, in my experience when anything spray drys to fast ya get that effect, just hit it with some #0000 steel wool between coats to smooth it out, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 03:01:11 am »
i use it as a base coat
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:14 am »
I have used it on most of my bows, so far. The last couple turned out a little nicer with the #0000 steel wool between coats, though. The spray has a little wax in it unlike the liquid in a can.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

owlbait

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:50:28 am »
Thanks for bringing this up JW. Chuck Deshler recommended I try the Zinsser and I couldn't remember the name of that stuff. This reminder hit a "Bullseye" in the memory center! Good luck with the orange peel, I'm sure you'll have a great finish now with the excellent advice given here.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »
Will try to do the next few coats late in the evening or early morning to take advantage of cooler weather.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 04:46:19 pm »
JW
I don't use the spray cans but spraying finish in general takes about the right conditions or uck happens !
Cooler and less air flow along with thinner coats all can help it to flow out better before it flashes out to much and gives you that orange peel effect!
Once it gets settled in and done flowing then you can pour the heat to it and move some air across it to speed drying if you want , don't usually need to with shellac .
Have fun !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:27:30 pm »
JMHO, but spay cans are a waste of finish. you overspray to much and don't have enough control.
I just use liquid shellac in a can and patch of soft cotton and apply the shellac in one light pass.  repeat as needed.

Ok, I tried the can of liquid shellac from the same manufacturer...and the results were even worse.  I could not maintain a "wet edge" with the brush unless I loaded the brush heavily.  Then I ended up with drips, runs, and crappy results.  I spent this morning spotsanding and scraping to recover what I could. 

Now I come back and read your instructions to use a soft cotton cloth.   >:( >:( >:(

At least it is cooler today, I should be able to sacrifice some of my good cotton flannel that I use for cleaning muzzleloaders on this project.  I am eager to have this bow done and shipped before I really screw things up. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:53:13 am »
I use my old socks for wipeing on finish he, works good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »
My last batch of old socks got used for "chew toys" for the great horned owl.  I use zip ties to bind them down to her perch and she enjoys destroying them instead of tearing up the perch.  Someone said that was cruel to use those stinky old sox for that poor bird, but I reminded him that great horned owls have a preference for killing and eating skunks, can't be that much worse.