Author Topic: Spine - Too much or too little  (Read 2845 times)

Offline BryanR

Spine - Too much or too little
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:10:09 pm »
What do arrows do if the spine doesn't match the bow?

I bought a nice test arrow kit from 3 Rivers and put some points on them today.  There are two arrows of spine 35-40#, 40-45#, 45-50#, and 50-55#.  What should the arrow do if I shoot one that is too much or too little?  Does the arrow simply go right or left of the aiming point, or something more drastic?

Thinking I'll be doing some practice tomorrow.  Couldn't resist including a photo of my Mom.  She's 85 years old this week, has a bit of dementia, but still is a lot of fun.

Bryan

Offline sonny

Re: Spine - Too much or too little
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:35:26 pm »
assuming that you're right handed, arrows that are too heavy (in spine) will shoot to the left,
arrows that are too limber will shoot to the right.
properly spined arrows will come off of the bow cleanly such that you'll not see any wobble while
in flight.....if cleanly released that is.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:16:55 pm »
 if your bow is way extreme wide in the handle(2 inches or so)... it will be very noticable... even with rotten shooting...  I recently finished an character Ash bow that has a narrow, non-working handle... thanks to a crook in the grain of the upper limb, it is centershot at the arrow pass shooting right handed... Spine really doesn't matter on that bow... within reason(its about #40)
I don't tend to notice differences in spine too much though- I am inaccurate enough as it is!   
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:33:49 am »
Are these arrows cut to 28"(behind the point)? The indicated spine on the arrows is for a 28" arrow with a 125gr point. If longer than 28" subtract 5# for each inch over and add 5# for each inch under. Point weight also will change the effective spine.
  Sonny described the effects of spine on arrow flight. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 04:52:55 am »
To squirrelslinger, you should post some of these bows you talk about. Id love to see them.
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 04:18:17 pm »
 When you get it right the arrows look like the jump of the bow like darts perfectly straight and go straight where your looking.
  LEFT TO HEAVY
  RIGHT TO LIGHT
  IT YOU SEE UP AND DOWN FEATHER MOVEMENT AS IT GO'S TO THE TARGET. YOU NEED TO MOVE THE STRING KNOCK UP OR DOWN.
  A little knock movement go's along way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:42:23 pm »
Here's a pretty good video that shows what can happen with to weak of a spine skip to about 5:10 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:53:31 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:14 pm »
To squirrelslinger, you should post some of these bows you talk about. Id love to see them.
Sure.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:05 pm »
When you get it right the arrows look like the jump of the bow like darts perfectly straight and go straight where your looking.
  LEFT TO HEAVY
  RIGHT TO LIGHT
  IT YOU SEE UP AND DOWN FEATHER MOVEMENT AS IT GO'S TO THE TARGET. YOU NEED TO MOVE THE STRING KNOCK UP OR DOWN.
  A little knock movement go's along way.

Good tip I'll take it to heart.. :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BryanR

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32:59 pm »
Thanks for the info, and video.  I generally saw the heavier spine to the left, and lighter arrows to the right.  That is, when my groupings were good.  Noticed only about a 6 inch difference on the target between the where the heavier arrows hit versus the lighter ones.  Will need to confirm that with more practice.

28" arrows on a 50# bow and a 26" draw may not notice much difference between arrows that have similar spines.  At the moment, I like the feel of the 45-50# arrows.