Author Topic: ?? about snake skins  (Read 1448 times)

Offline danny f

?? about snake skins
« on: July 19, 2013, 03:43:46 pm »
hi there. i have a python skin that i want to put on a bow, but im not sure if it is correctly cured.up near the head end the skin is like paper with no membrane and is very floppy. the rest of the skin is quite stiff and has some membrane left although i have scraped as much of it off as i could and sanded it after it dried. is it just because its a constrictor that the skin is so thick or does it need more work. i know i have to soak it before i put it on the bow, which will make it floppy, im just worried it may lift as it is quite thick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: ?? about snake skins
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:47:00 pm »
It will double as rawhide Danny. You could gently sand it thinner, but it would be a shame to pop a hole in it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 04:07:52 pm »
ok thanks  :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 05:01:56 pm »
I soaked my belly scales, which are pretty thick, in water for about an hour and then scraped and scraped until all the membrane stuff was gone and it was clean skin.  I've never had python skins but from what you are describing it sounded like what I dealt with.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:25:16 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline 4dog

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:19:09 am »
Python and boa skins are thicker and heavier than pretty much any american snakeskin seems to me ,(and i aint no expert) that you might have to tiller the bow with the skin on because of the added weight and thickness,, but,,i could be wrong. Just thinking logically.
"SET" is always there !!!

ftanner

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 01:03:36 am »
Had the same issue...I put the thicker end on the bottom limb and after drying came out a little stronger than the top limb. Still shoots great tho so I'm not going to worry about it

Offline danny f

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 03:12:44 am »
thanks for the replys everyone. i think i will just use it as it is, and if i have have give it a couple of scrapes to reduce weight it wont be to much trouble. the main issue i was worried about is the skin not sticking down properly due to the thickness. but it sounds like it will be ok, fingers crossed.