Author Topic: Heat treat maple... when?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Heat treat maple... when?
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:39:48 am »
I have a hard maple stave down to floor tiller.  I plan to flip the tips and heat treat the belly.

I haven't put a long string on it yet, my question is: Should I flip the tips and heat treat the belly in the same heat treatment?  That's what makes sense to me as cooking the belly after flipping the tips could remove some of the "flip" unevenly.  I don't have to flip the tips, I just like the way they look.

Should I tiller it out by bracing with the long string first before heat treating?

It's pyramid shape flatbow 62 1/2" ntn, shooting for 50# @ 27"

This will be my second completed bow if it survives...

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Heat treat maple... when?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:57:52 am »
I like to heat it now before I string it, and then possibly again before I finish it.  Never heat treated Maple, but other white woods yes and Osage.  Flip and heat treat IMO.  I have read where others just heat treat once and that's it.  My best results with white woods is to heat early and then again if I take it down to fresh looking wood.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:46 am »
I usually heat just to straighten and line everything up,then tiller to 16 or 18 inches,then heat treat [kind of] with added reflex,after the heat treating then if I am flipping the tips which I usually do,I will do that,then give it a few days to re hydrate and then finish the tillering. :) Seemes to work fine with white wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »
I don't useually heat treat maple, hasn't seemed to need it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:34:14 pm »
what Pappy said...............Just make sure to let it rehydrate for a few days or you might get some frets/crystals, or worse.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:47:53 pm »
what Pappy said...............Just make sure to let it rehydrate for a few days or you might get some frets/crystals, or worse.
DBar
Is it brittler in compression when dry? I thought it was brittler in tension, but stronger in compression when dry... but then agian... I dunno.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"