Author Topic: first tri lam bow  (Read 1524 times)

ftanner

first tri lam bow
« on: July 13, 2013, 04:17:29 pm »
Just finished my first tri lam bow. Took quite a while...snake skin, hard rock maple,  padauk core, black walnut belly. The riser is made from canary wood and the tips are black walnut. String is Flemish twist artificial sinew. Bow length is just under 72 inches, 1 3/4 at the fades narrowing to about 1/2 at the tips. 15/32 thick the entire length. Didn't get a chance to weigh it but pulls between 40 and 50 lbs. (Shoots plenty fast to hunt with) Side note: bottom limb came out a bit stiffer after putting the skin on, it got noticeably thicker down the length of it. Assumed that was the cause. Still shoots the same tho. Also, the 'dont tread on me' is on there cause it was a gift for my bro in law in special forces. Figured I'd post pics and get thoughts/feedback from you guys! Thanks

Offline toomanyknots

Re: first tri lam bow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:38:48 pm »
Very nice, paduak makes a beautiful core. Very nice! Can I ask you, how do you square up and flatten the fades for the belly lams to go on? I haven't figured this part out yet, but always wanted to try some belly lams like this. I was thinking of using a spindle sander/drum sander before the handle was cut out,I think that would work? So you could put the handle flat on the table and have the drum sander/spindle sander right at a 90 degree angle, so it would get the surface perfectly flat and ready for glue up?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

ftanner

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:34:02 pm »
I have a belt sander so that's what I use. Just the end roller...spindle would be easier tho for sure. Fades are 6 inches long and only 1 1/2 thick. Cut it with a coping saw (dont have a band saw) then sand out paper thin using a block of wood on the bottom  of the riser so I don't break the ends off

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:46:39 pm »
Sweet wood combo. Purdy bow!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:09:56 pm »
I have a belt sander so that's what I use. Just the end roller...spindle would be easier tho for sure. Fades are 6 inches long and only 1 1/2 thick. Cut it with a coping saw (dont have a band saw) then sand out paper thin using a block of wood on the bottom  of the riser so I don't break the ends off

Thank you! Very nice bow, beautiful really...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair