Author Topic: Mountain men  (Read 7994 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Mountain men
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 08:08:18 pm »
He'd be more interesting if they'd show his still and his patch of weed.

Ha! Now moonshiners, thats a cool show. Probably more full of crap than this one though... just watched this episode online, or at least the bow part. I wanna get ahold of that guy and tell him to ask for a refund! Is this show just totally full of crap, or is this individual guy just full of crap? What gives? The tiller didn't look all that bad to me, but that is not how sinew backed bows work, the 2 hours and the sinew would still be gelly - like, it might even just pop off if it was humid... ??? Either way it is ruined and a waste of time. I wonder if they just glued a fake snake skin on a fiberglass bow...  >:D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 08:19:36 pm »
I watched the show last night too.  It lost all credibility with me and I promptly changed it with the sinew bit.

Another character on the show was tracking a mountain lion...with out a rifle!  Was he trying to make a snack out of his dogs?  He did have what looked to be a 9mm hand gun that was concealed in his jacket.  Wouldn't be my first choice when pursuing a big cat.

All of those shows are about as real as WWF wrestling.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »
I know one of the guys on there pretty well.  Tuned in last night to see him.  Couldn't watch it.  Just terrible.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wildman

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 08:31:55 pm »
I watched season 2 while visiting with my dad this weekend. We both got a big sad laugh out of it. I HAVE to see the bow episode now. The chicken killer with Eustice (spelling??????) showed me all I needed to know about the whole operation. I live alot like he does, I'm purty shore uh feller alivin that thar lifestyle would aknow whet werea killin his chikens.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »
Saw the start of the episode where the friend asked for a bow two days before he wanted it, then I got busy with something and didn't see the rest.  Glad I didn't.  He could've cranked out a real selfbow in two days.  I guess the idea of sinew backing was just too sexy for them to not include.

I think Marty has the most actual mountain skills even if he is using more modern equipment.  That dude is living on the edge on a daily basis.  Eustus is just a subsistence farmer and not a great one from what I can tell.  He'd be more interesting if they'd show his still and his patch of weed.
You have never seen blackhawk make a self bow then lol in two days he will have 2 made and more started
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:53 pm »
I watched it last season and that was enough for me. My hunting buddy has never been involved with primitive bows at all. He was telling me about the snake skin bow today. "Tom" the bow maker is a cool dude right now.. I just laughed and told him it was cool he could do that. Last year it seemed the only thing Tom did was worry about bears eating his dog. Mountain living is a real hardship..

Eustace Conway lives here in NC and last year was losing his land for back taxes. I heard he borrowed money from someone to make the payment. I wondered how much it meant to the TV show to keep him on that land. I meet him several years ago and he was wearing a tanned deer skin shirt. He weighed about 150 lbs. Even after all the Hard farm work and barely surviving he has managed to put on another 100 lbs. Mountain living is a real hardship. He has a web site for a summer camp that's called "Turtle Island".

There are better shows to watch...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline 4dog

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 10:42:21 pm »
Reality TV is after all ,, still TV.    :o
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 12:19:40 am »
The show is a joke.Rich n Marty are the real deals,but the drama hasta go.
I watched the bow episode and bout busted a gut.
Eustice Conway,otherwise known as Useless conman,has quite a history,if one wants to research it.