Author Topic: Minors, Keep Parents Informed  (Read 1733 times)

Offline ncpat

Minors, Keep Parents Informed
« on: June 30, 2013, 01:26:35 am »
I PM a lot of people here & various other forums & it just occured to me that some may possibly be minors. Not a big deal really, archery is not an "adult" subject as such. But if any of you are minors, you should keep your parents "in the loop" about the forums you are part of and any people you may buy, sell or trade items with. Some parents may get concerned if they see out of town or out of state mail to their kids from strangers. A valid concern in this day and age with so many crazies out there. Just let them know ahead what you are doing and don't give worry a chance to set in. As a parent myself, I would appreciate knowing such things.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Minors, Keep Parents Informed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:25:50 am »
I agree with ncpat completely. This has been a concern of mine for a while and I encourage any minors to keep their parents or guardians informed about their envolvement with the PA message board, whether it be contributing to the website through online conversations or recieving or sending out trade items. The subject has come up in a few of the Bow Trades over the years.
If there are any parents or guardians that are concerned please feel free to contact me personally(my contact info is on my profile page)and if I can't ease their concerns I will get them in contact with the owners of Primitive Archer Magazine, our sponsor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »
Hmmmm?  that's  something I never thought about.   as  one of the better run sites  what can we do?  Jeffw

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »
I was only a minor for a few weeks and then I turned 18. Never had an issue with this with my parents, plus Every trade I did i got excited about and told them about it lol. Still its a good point.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ncpat

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 02:53:39 pm »
Hmmmm?  that's  something I never thought about.   as  one of the better run sites  what can we do?  Jeffw

Probably hard for the site/forum to track, as everyone has access to computers. I was just thinkng of good procedures from the user's end. "BTW Mom, I correspond & trade with some people on an archery forum. One of them is sending me a quiver in the mail and I am sending him some of my flint arrowheads". Then the parent can glance over the forum and see what issues are discussed and not worry that the kid is at any big risk. 

Offline ncpat

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »
I was only a minor for a few weeks and then I turned 18. Never had an issue with this with my parents, plus Every trade I did i got excited about and told them about it lol. Still its a good point.

You were on the right track just letting them know about your trades. Fortunately, this type of forum is not what a lot of wackoes would be attracted to. Archers are a pretty decent breed of people overall. Still, basic caution & common sense go a long way.

Offline Bignasty

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 04:23:42 pm »
You may mention it to you'r parents befor you go and give you'r address so some stranger you meet online. I'v felt the rath of my parents many a time just mentioning emailing someone on from a forum. I'm a member of a different type of forum that does extencive checks to make sure no nut jobs get in and I have met several people from there but I still wouldn't dare mentioning it to my mom even at 23 because I believe she would have a melt down.

My things I look for befor i consider contacting someone are number of post(the more the better),If they contact alot of people(the more the better once again). Follow basic safty rules also people dont need to know your an adventuros 12/yo boy

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
Yea. Definitely let your parents know about trades you are going to do... They can help you decide whether a trade is worth it.. and they are good at estimating shipping prices ;) And it usually is a good idea to let them know what country the package is coming from ;)
Also, if you are a minor- Don't post your address online. PM's only.
# of post doesn't matter much to me.
My dad reads slinging.org and PA sometimes- expecially the forums ;)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »
Yea. Definitely let your parents know about trades you are going to do... They can help you decide whether a trade is worth it.. and they are good at estimating shipping prices ;) And it usually is a good idea to let them know what country the package is coming from ;)

Great idea, NC.  Squirrel Slinger, glad to see reads PA.  But....... does he eat bacon?  ??? I mean real bacon....... pork belly! ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 01:31:24 am »

Great idea, NC.  Squirrel Slinger, glad to see reads PA.  But....... does he eat bacon?  ??? I mean real bacon....... pork belly! ;D ;D

Wayne
My dad is a vegitarian, he makes delicious refried bean soup... and delicious international stew. I dunno about bacon... I doubt it.
My sister loves bacon in all forms.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"