Author Topic: Need help with this tiller please.  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Need help with this tiller please.
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:06 pm »
Well got this boo backed ipe almost complete but I'm not happy with the tller  now.
Yesterday the bottom limb(left) was showing slight positive....I shoulda left it alone, but decided to bring the upper limb to positive, and it was stubborn! Well I got it there but I'm afraid I went too far with it. It went 1/4in positive and it looks off to me. Maybe a wee bit stiff in the lower mid-limb?

I am disappointed as this was going to my cousin to hunt with this fall...it sits at 50lb at 27in. now and I must say it does shoot pretty good as is.. I dont have any room left to maintain drawweight he wanted, so I need fresh eyes hoping it can be salvaged and maybe its not as bad as I think?

Help?
 [/URL]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Need help with this tiller please.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:24:35 pm »
Maybe a little stiff mid lower limb,scrap a little and exercise a lot on them type bows is what I have seen and been told.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »
Your eyes good I see the same thing.Mid limb on bottom limb.How does it shoot and feel as is?That see sawing back and forth trying to go from even to positive tiller from one limb to the other is a dilemma everyone goes through.You must not of excersized the bow enough between material removal.Which I'm sure you know.The dense material in yours and the glue line contributed to the stubborness I'd say.I have that happen with horn and sinew too which is very dense.What I'll do is leave the bow strung 2 hours then shoot the bow about 50 times with a 12 grain per draw weight arrow besides pulling it to full draw 2 dozen times.Every bow is different.Monitoring its tendecies as you tiller helps you realize this is a stubborn one and take different measures to get it to reveal tiller.It takes time to do this I know but it does help.You may have gotten into a little bit of a hurry with this bow but to me I don't think you'll lose more than 2 pounds if you want to even it up a bit to 1/8" positive tiller.To me your bows' tiller is'nt tooo bad.Nice lines on your bow BTW.I can tell you are your own worst critic.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »
Your eyes good I see the same thing.Mid limb on bottom limb.How does it shoot and feel as is?That see sawing back and forth trying to go from even to positive tiller from one limb to the other is a dilemma everyone goes through.You must not of excersized the bow enough between material removal.Which I'm sure you know.The dense material in yours and the glue line contributed to the stubborness I'd say.I have that happen with horn and sinew too which is very dense.What I'll do is leave the bow strung 2 hours then shoot the bow about 50 times with a 12 grain per draw weight arrow besides pulling it to full draw 2 dozen times.Every bow is different.Monitoring its tendecies as you tiller helps you realize this is a stubborn one and take different measures to get it to reveal tiller.It takes time to do this I know but it does help.You may have gotten into a little bit of a hurry with this bow but to me I don't think you'll lose more than 2 pounds if you want to even it up a bit to 1/8" positive tiller.To me your bows' tiller is'nt tooo bad.Nice lines on your bow BTW.I can tell you are your own worst critic.

Well my biggest downfall is striving to make myself satisfied....It happens all the time! I just gotta tweak it just a bit more, and then.....I've gone too far!
Well I took my time with this one and have been shooting at least 50 arrows thru it between workings. As I say, I shoulda left well enough alone. the little bit positive tiller in the lower limb just drove me nuts.
Actually it shoots really good as is. and at full draw it doesn't look as bad in the mirror...the pic above is only 22in. drawn on the tree. no one here to help take full draw pics I'm afraid.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:27:24 pm »
mid lower limb...
Looks good.
Nice bow!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »
Brace picture looks good.  It is slightly off but nothing a little scraping won't solve.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:35:10 pm »
If it really bugs you piking is an option to get some weight back.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 02:49:29 pm »
If it really bugs you piking is an option to get some weight back.
ya, thought of that....64in nth now, so I could do that if I have to.
I'm tweaking that stiff limb abit and just came in from shooing it.....I'd shoot this all day! It turned out nice...I'm still holding 50lbs just short of 28".

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 03:21:08 pm »
Yup... I'd get the mid left limb bending just a hair more. You shouldn't lose much weight (if any) doing that.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:24:31 pm »
Nice.Congrats.Put another 200 through it to be more sure.I usually won't post a bow till put at least 200 arrows through it.Very nice looking lines on that one.He'll be tickled pink I'm sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 09:28:36 pm »
At 50 pounds it's still got more then enough weight to hunt if you can keep it above 40 pounds it's still legal to hunt, in most places, just about anything
I like osage

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:13 pm »
At 50 pounds it's still got more then enough weight to hunt if you can keep it above 40 pounds it's still legal to hunt, in most places, just about anything

He wants it for elk and mulies I guess. so I'd prefer to keep the weight up if possible within reason.
I've already put more than 300 shots thru this bow..
Funny thing is the full draw profile looks way better than it shows in the pics.that drawn shot is only at 22 or 24in. on the tree...can't remember now., anyhow..I can see it in the big mirror pretty good.
I'm working the lower limb a little bit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:34:33 pm by Easternarcher »