Author Topic: Tiller Check, my second ELB, my first composite. Tri-lam BBBI  (Read 2577 times)

Offline ben8763

My first post

Hi all, I've been trawling through the forums for a while absorbing information and drooling over some really gorgeous bows and I decided about 2 month ago to pull my finger out and start building.

This is my second ELB, and my 6th bow (maybe 7th??? I think one broke in there somewhere) and I would just like to get a tiller check on it.

I have been shooting this one and it feels great no hand shock (I could be sub consciously blocking it out), accurate and a lot of fun. So I probably wont alter the tiller buuuuuuuut I do plan to make to make more, so of course I would love to know what should be improved in future bows.

58# @ 28" ELB

Raw bamboo backing, bamboo flooring core and ironbark belly. Brown suede leather handle wrap, my first leather handle wrap, it didn't turn out fantastic but I'm happy enough with it.

My first ever composite, considering this is only my 6th bow, a tri-lam was a massive undertaking, but I think it turned out alright
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:11:30 am by ben8763 »

Offline Shiloh

Re: Tiller Check, my second ELB, my first composite. Tri-lam BBBI
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:59 am »
Beautiful bow! I've been really wanting to make a laminate ELB/EWB for a while, and you just made me decide to get on it again.

To my *VERY* untrained eye, tiller looks good! Perhaps just a little stiff at the tips, but nothing I would think that negatively impacts it at all.

What sort of cross-section do you have? D, Mary rose, rectangle, etc?
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:56 am »
Again coming from a complete ameture the tiller looks very even and pretty good. I can't tell but from the looks of it there are no horn nocks? Are you planning to ad any.  Cool looking bow
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:14:49 am »
Nice work! Very clean looking.

I'd say the outer limbs (maybe 8" of each) aren't doing anything, so could probably be worked down a bit, which would increase cast and reduce potential set in the middle of the limbs towards the centre. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:18:31 am »
Dunno if it's an optical illusion or funny camera angle, but in that first pic it looks like you are drawing from about 6" above the centre of the string???
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ben8763

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:38:31 am »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, this is the first bow Ive ever posted and Ill admit the compliments are making me grin.
BowSlayer: I would love to put on,some horn overlays if I knew where to get xsome, alas overhere that aint easy.

Del: Im holding thebow with a cant so that might explain why it looks that way, I have abetter,photo of my brother at full draw that ill post tomorrow.

You guys are pretty spot on, looking at it today the tips for about 6-7" are pretty stiff
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:53:43 am by ben8763 »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:36:11 am »
Nice, turned out great!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:41:06 am »
Not real sure how a ELB is supposed to be tillered,but that bow looks good to me. :) Very nice job. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:00 am »
This may just be my eyes tricking me, but in the last pic it looks as if the shadow of the bow is displaying stringfollow at midlimb on both limbs.  If it is, that's a sure sign that the tips ain't working enough.  Good to be aware of that for your next bow!

Offline ben8763

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:52:14 pm »
You got that from a shadow

Theres about 15mm of set mid limb, im gla,d I finally understand whats causing that. On all my bows I have had trouble getting the tips to move much, anyone got any tips on doing so, or should I just lie and call everything a holmegaard hybrid XD

Offline ben8763

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 01:58:39 am »
Here's a better photo of the tiller, my brother holding at full draw

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 02:12:37 am »
Yeah your tips are stiff more so on the upper limb, you could say that outer half is a little stiff and it looks like a tiny bit of material could be removed a couple of inches below your hand. Still the tiller is good.
I like free stuff.