Author Topic: Made myself a little sumthin' sumthin' (some man-jewellery)  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Made myself a little sumthin' sumthin' (some man-jewellery)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 08:30:53 pm »
Thanks for the kind words :)

Jessa - there is no trick photography involved :) I did my best to make the ends disappear into the braid.  There is a section about 1 or 2 inches long where the braid is overlapped (you can see it where the braid is thicker), to give the ends something to hold together. Then I narrowed the tag ends of the lace and tucked about 1/2" into the middle of the round braid.

Matt - Thanks.  I'm not sure which I prefer, I like both colors.

Bubs - I made this one about 26" in length.   As a general rule, use double that length for each strand, plus some extra for wiggle room. 

In this case I would have used about 60" for each of the 4 strands in the braid, but instead I used 2 strands that were about 120", and started the braid from the center of each strand, so that there weren't any loose ends when it came time to weave the tag ends back in.

I ended up cutting off about 18" from each lace,  but just like tillering a bow, it's better to have too much material than too little!

My buddy Hatcha in Ireland was kind enough to send me some 5000 year old Irish bog oak that would be ideal for carving out some pendants, so I think I may be making a few more of these in the future.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Made myself a little sumthin' sumthin' (some man-jewellery)
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 04:13:51 pm »
Much classier than a wall clock on a gold log chain around the neck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.