Author Topic: As fate would have it  (Read 5775 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: As fate would have it
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 03:11:47 am »

Did you guys practice that tongue in cheek, s**t-eating grin or does that just happen when you stand next to a yew tree?  ;D ;D ;D

I agree...but did yall notice the huge trees down next to that little bitty yew ...my goodness I know why they're smiling like the butchers dog,kuz they are in heaven son!!!!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 03:44:06 am »
Believe it or not that little yew tree was probably older than those big fir trees.
We decided, that particular tree had escapee death 3 times and deserved to live another 300 years.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 06:29:04 am »
I think those yew trees are so strong because they are built to survive having a 10' diam cedar or fir fall on them.  I have seen it like that except the yew was growing out from underneath the down tree, with nothing but a little scar to show for it.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 10:11:50 am »
Good score Josh,thanks to the western boys generosity of course.I'm sure it's better than the irish yew I offered you a while back.Your job does have it's benefits.....LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:31 pm »
I think those yew trees are so strong because they are built to survive having a 10' diam cedar or fir fall on them.  I have seen it like that except the yew was growing out from underneath the down tree, with nothing but a little scar to show for it.

Oh yeah seen alot of those. One was completely uprooted and underneath a 2' dia. Fir and the yew was still growing. Incredible trees.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 12:33:24 pm »
Josh and I found one laying flat under a giant fir, straight as an arrow!  We left it cause it had about ten, 4 ft. branches growing straight up. Those will all make some nice bows for our great, great, great grandchildren.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2013, 04:17:09 pm »
Blackhawk- if i remember correctly, it was father's day weekend and you were goin' campin.  Otherwise I would've stopped. ::)
Turtle- that's 90+ yr old yew that I have.  I needed some fresh stuff so it would be properly seasoned when I'm 130. ;)
Carson-It was a pleasure to meet you.  I wish I would've been a little more flush.  I would've bought some shaft from you as well as the cherry bark.  I appreciate the kind words, but if you intend to pick my mind for more than ten minutes, you better use a very small pick and take lots of breaks!  Lol!
Ed-is there such a thing as bad yew?  I'm betting that stuff you have will make fine bows!
Marco- I will utilize that little hemlock, so its all good.
Weylin-I'll be out there again and next time I'll give more notice.  It sounds like you were having a great time anyway!
Thanks again!  Josh
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:39:48 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 02:07:50 am »
Yup, as much as I love Yew for bows, whenever I go to cut em, I always run into a dozen I can't bring myself to cut, before I find one that "lets" me do it.  Something about dropping a tree that's 10 times older than I am... 

Sounds like a heck of a trip had by all. You can't beat a day in the woods among friends,

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2013, 08:35:15 am »
Awesome! You lucky guys got to meet Josh and Josh got to meet you guys! We have one hell of an "community" formed here.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.