Author Topic: Holmgaard/Mollegabet tips and non-working levers.  (Read 1475 times)

Offline munkinstein

Holmgaard/Mollegabet tips and non-working levers.
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:50:38 am »
I'm almost finished my second bow, a 68 inch TtT sugar maple mollegabet.  It has 17 inch long working limbs with 10 inch non working levers, not including the 2 inch fades.  I'm backing the bow with hemp.  I'm in the home stretch, just some small tillering adjustments to make and I'm completely flummoxed as to what to do with the tips.  I'm pretty handy, but I do not want to use tip overlays, I'm wondering if I could get some ideas for tip design that will reflect the primitive feel that I'm shooting for with this bow.  A design that has utility, but also looks good.  As a side note I've noticed a lot of people using a rope like material for in their handle, is that sisal rope, or hemp rope?  I'm thinking about using that instead of leather.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
Re: Holmgaard/Mollegabet tips and non-working levers.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:32 am »
You could do pin nocks, do a search and you should find what I am talking about.

I used twisted jute for handle wraps, if you use a flame to burn off the loose fibers and the coat the jute with some thinned down TBII or III it works pretty good.
>>>---------->

Offline ohma2

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:20:42 am »
heres a couple ideas Tim Baker volume 3 TBB  a wedge of wood or folded piece of leather or simply wrap with sinew .

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:08:57 pm »
I would go with pin nocks. Hemp wrapped handles are my fave.