Author Topic: aspen shootlets  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Bloodhound

aspen shootlets
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:45:15 pm »
So I am fairly new to bow building and want to make some arrows to go with my new hickory bow. I am headed to my cabin in NW WI this weekend and was thinking that I could hit a recent clear cut and get some aspen shootlets about the right size. Has anyone used these. Should I cut them to length, skin them and tie a bundle together to dry in the barn and retrieve them in a month or so?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: aspen shootlets
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:25 am »
When you make arrows from shoot material you want to be sure it is at lease 2 year old growth.   I use a 3/8" open end wrench to measure hardwood shoots to cut. That will be the butt end and cut them 36" or so, bundle them with rubber bands and set them aside in a dry area for at least a month. After that time you should be able to strip the bark without them checking. Give them at least another month before making your arrows. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ncpat

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:17 am »
When you make arrows from shoot material you want to be sure it is at lease 2 year old growth.   I use a 3/8" open end wrench to measure hardwood shoots to cut. That will be the butt end and cut them 36" or so, bundle them with rubber bands and set them aside in a dry area for at least a month. After that time you should be able to strip the bark without them checking. Give them at least another month before making your arrows.

Sounds like one should make weatherproof tags to keep track of shoots' age or does the 3/8 thickness usually assure age?
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:58:41 pm »
Pat, most shoots will only have leaves on them the first year. The second year small branches will grow from where the previous years leaves were.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC