Author Topic: Fletching Glue  (Read 7017 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Fletching Glue
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 08:40:36 pm »
I ben using the gel super glue also. Either loctite or the gel made by gorilla glue. When I first used it I had exactly the same opinion as you, then I tried something different....not the glue but the way I applied it. If you are using a jig, put the feather in the clamp and when you apply the superglue do it in tiny little dots like periods and spaced apart from @ other. When ya stick that down it's down. I give mine about 1-2 minuets (dont really know why) and on to the next one. This method takes so little bit of the glue that mine will last at least 3 to 4 dozen arrows with no problem at all/

That's just my experience so for what it's worth. I have had no trouble with my hardwood, softwood, and cane arrows. It even stuck good to the shafts I use the pitch and grease mix on.
rich

I thought about the Dab will Do Ya idea. I'll try that out on my new set should have them done in next couple days.  Thanks
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 09:34:45 pm »
When I'm fletching there is never a rush to get the job done. I've been using a water based super glue that takes forever to set but never fails. I set the clamp and find something else to work on, I call it multitasking. For the life of me I can't understand why any of you could be in such a hurry.  :laugh:

If I'm working with bamboo or cane I can always find another shaft to file a nock, straighten, or another project on the workbench. Life's too short to push the envelope and ruin good feathers.

Why rush the final stage of such a rewarding project. 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52:53 pm »
Mmm who say I is rushing..? >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:46 am »
I tried ducco once but never did get it to stick. Dont remember what kind of finish was on the shafts. Used barge cement for several years but it is kinda messy. Lately have been using the two sided fletching tape with good results.
Steve Bennett

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 07:52:01 pm »
I learned a cheap fix back in my" married days"
I use clear finger nail polish "borrowed from the wife"  ;D to glue down feathers and to water proof sinew wraps.
Cheap, water proof, hot and cold proof and very effective
Johnny
in Texas