Author Topic: Turkic bow 7-8th cent. (Zargalant)  (Read 4694 times)

Rafael

Turkic bow 7-8th cent. (Zargalant)
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:53:06 pm »
Hi! At the moment I'm working on several composite bows. And there is one ancient bow from Gokturks Khaganate period.
This bow were inspired by "Steppen Krieger" book in german language & by good friend of mine german hornbowmaker Ulrich Wellner.

There is a little story ....

Disocvered in 2008 by a Nomad. Cave burial in the Ömnöch Valley of the Zargalant Khairkhan mountains
he found the cave, dicovered the quiver and arrows and bow, then noticed human bones and got frightened because he understood it was an ancient cave burial. so he hid the bow and arrows. Later told the history teacher of his child, which later told to the archaeolgists.
The Zargalant Khairkhan mountains are situated in the middle of the steppe and have always been known as a sacred place to the local nomads. There are many stones / steles (Khirigsuurs) from prehistoric times.
the cave burial is 1866m above sea level and can only be reached by climbing
the archeologists found
bones of a 26 year old 166 cm tall man
he has a healed hole made by a sharp object in left side of his skull (that means he survived the injury)
there are also signs of a survived spine injury (he probably fell on his back)
and skeleton singns that he did a lot of horse riding
cause of death is not known
the accompanying finds (archery stuff, an instrument, textiles)
the finds are dated to 7-8th century

Translated from German language by Uli Wellner.

Materials: Limbs- Mountain Elm (Ulmus Glabra), Syahs - Naturally curved Mountain Elm.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:42:57 am by Rafael »

Offline DuBois

Re: Turkic bow 7-8th cent. (Zargalant)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:19:49 pm »
I a really interested in seeing the progression of this bow. Please keep us posted. Thanks, Marco.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:23:12 pm »
Dont stop now ...I hate cliff hangers lol
Always learning something new.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:45:15 pm »
I used to live in Turkey and I was recognizing a lot of these foreign words but I had no idea where they were.  Then I realized that was probably before Turks were in Turkey... LOL  So this all occured in Mongolia?

I'm very interested in the progression of this thread.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:28:20 pm »
Here's a link to Adam's replica of the bow. http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2395

Rafael

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 03:29:29 am »
Dont stop now ...I hate cliff hangers lol

Thank you! :)

Rafael

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 03:30:17 am »
I a really interested in seeing the progression of this bow. Please keep us posted. Thanks, Marco.

Ok will do ;) Thank you

Rafael

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 03:37:11 am »
I used to live in Turkey and I was recognizing a lot of these foreign words but I had no idea where they were.  Then I realized that was probably before Turks were in Turkey... LOL  So this all occured in Mongolia?

I'm very interested in the progression of this thread.

Oh, sure their origins comes from Central Asia.  Ancient Turkic empire was big & consist of many tribes. Mongolia & big part of China were under control of their empire.  And we (kazakhs) have a lot of same words with Turks. 

Rafael

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 03:39:00 am »
Here's a link to Adam's replica of the bow. http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2395

Sure PatM, I saw his replica. I like it! Mine will be from different materials. If everything will be ok, I will use Ibex horn

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 04:21:11 am »
Interesting story.
can't wait for the next installment :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.