Author Topic: Hardwood shafts and duplex points?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Dazv

Hardwood shafts and duplex points?
« on: June 08, 2013, 07:40:56 pm »
Hi all!!

I was wondering if anybody has used duplex points and hardwood shafts? If so how do you go about doing it? I've tried to drill out the end of a shaft but I couldn't drill straight enough.

Any tips?

Thanks so much guys!!!!!!

Darren

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hardwood shafts and duplex points?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:47 pm »
Darren, duplex points are mostly used with cane arrows. Unless you can drill out the wood shafts I don't see how they can work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:18:31 pm »
Thanks for your reply, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I just can't seem to be able to drill straight.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:50:17 pm »
it is rather diffucult to drill straight. get a piece of pipe inside diameter of your arrow, and a LONG drill bit. Take a bit of shaft material, about 1/2 inch, drill a hole perfectly centered through it, then glue that into the top. take the shaft you want to use, drill about 1/8 into the end perfectly centered. then slip about 1" into pipe, carefully insert bit through top guide, then move the bit around until you can feel it slip into that little indent/hole you made earlier, then drill your desired depth.
It requires a long bit, at least 12". Not super expensive.
Its an easy jig to make, best done from alumnium or steel tube(it comes in small enough diameters).
I use something similar to this(but with bigger bits) to make blowguns from solid wood stock. And drill bit extensions. I actually have a 36" 1/4 drill bit I use to drill a guidance hole, and a 32" 1/2 inch bit to drill the main bore(for a .50 cal blowgun). actual twist bits, not spade bits. They are only fluted for the last 3 inches.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:32:57 am »
Great! Thanks for the idea I'm sure this will work great!!!
Thanks again

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »
An internal footing jig will get you a straight hole. You might have to get a longer bit unless you cut a lot of the nail off.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »
Great thanks so much for all of the advice guys.