Author Topic: Lakota Style leggings  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Peatreg

Lakota Style leggings
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:14:09 am »
I just wanted to share the Lakota style leggings that I just completed.  The leggings are of an earlier style of plains clothing.  I find the earlier style plains indian clothing more interesting than the later, more tailored look.  Each legging is made up of one german tanned deerhide.  It's hard to distinguish it from real brain tanned leather.  I did not do the beadwork but sewing it to the leggings was more than enough work in and of itself.  The strips are beaded in a classic Lakota style.  Attached to the top of each beaded strip I attached two red ochered ermine hides.  I am glad to get these done because they took a lot of work and I have more projects to finish, even ones I started before these.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:26:38 pm by Peatreg »

Offline chamookman

Re: Lakota Style leggings
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56:07 am »
Nice ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:35:13 am »
You bet.Nice pair of skins there.There is something about the as it comes off of the deer type of tailoring that is appealing.I'd say it's the natural flow of things instead of the more tailored cut scripted look.Wheeoo that was a mouth full...but I hope I got my description accross.That german tanning I think is done with cod liver oil in a barrel for quite some time if I'm not mistaken.I've seen it and it is very soft feeling stuff for sure.You'll find that though as you wear those around camp at rendezvous cooking on a camp fire etc. that a lot of that fringe etc. will get in the way and very dirty from use.I'd only wear them for special occasions.
I don't have a cell phone camera but do have a folder on my comp that has a lot of pics of my brain tan clothes and things.From when I had a scanner copier hooked to my comp and I scanned 35 mm.pics to a picture folder in my comp.Some beaded.Some not,but being comp illiterate don't know how to transfer those pics to this site along with a message.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:40:38 am »
Very nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 02:34:41 pm »
a lot of work in there. nice beadwork too.
seems to me they NEED to get scuffed and dirtied up a bit, unless your planning on getting married in 'em  :)
But then
Its kinda like the way some people keep their trucks - emmaculate polish and not a scratch. where some of us like a truck you can kick
or drop a bucket load of dirt into, drive through wild rose bushes, toss firewood into....
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:41:28 pm »
Really nice, love seeing your beautiful work.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 03:40:04 pm »
Yep richardzane I've been at rendesvous weddings where the couples are dressed in that way.Pretty cool.We always give em a 10 gun salute before they disappear into their teepee......LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed