Author Topic: tip overlay material-horn  (Read 3694 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
tip overlay material-horn
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »
I am looking for a black tip overlay material to use. I love the way some of the horn material used by some of the members on this site that has a transparent look where it is thin. I know I can probably get ebony or wenge which is pretty dark, but was curious where you guys get your horn material.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: tip overlay material-horn
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:26:35 pm »
i get buffalo knife handle meterial from texasknifemakers.com or knifekits.com, but since i'm a custom knifemaker i usually have a scrap or two of horn layin around for overlays and such
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:32 pm »
I know you can buy horn blanks from 3riversarchery, but I have never bought or used them so I can't comment on their quality.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:53 pm »
Kenny, PM me your address and I'll send you a chunk of cow horn. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:09 pm »
I googled buffalo horn and found a place in Colorado that sold horn for six dollars a piece( whole horn , each about eleven " long . Get a lot of tips out of one horn, plus I've made some powder, salt horns out of them
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »
If you want Water Buffalo, I have a good supply of it.  PM me and I will send you a few pieces.  It's black, but some have a little translucence.  Is that spelled right?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:46:14 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll send yall a pm. I found a bunch of stuff on the internet, but didn't want to waste my time getting the wrong stuff. I read somewhere folks were flattening their horn with heat (boiling or heat gun) and wasn't sure whether they were starting with raw horn, blocks, or something else.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:34 pm »
I have some buffalo horn if you want to work a trade PM me
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline raghorns

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:58:42 am »
I used to only keep the solid tips on cow horn, but not anymore...just give the thinner parts a little dry heat and clamp them for a few minutes between a couple of boards. They are flexible and glue down easily.

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:47 am »
That really looks good, Lyle. Thanks to some of the generous guys on here, I should be getting some soon and hope to be able to show some of it on future bow posts.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:24:28 am »
When using horn for overlays you don't have to boil them. Grind them flat on a belt sander or with a rasp and file so the glue surface matches the glue surface of the bow tip. I use rubber bands to hold tip overlays in place while the glue cures.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 11:11:40 am »
What glues are you guys using for the  horn overlays?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »
I've used super glue(thin and gel), 2ton epoxy and TBIII, all with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 12:29:36 pm »
Super glue
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left