Author Topic: String Material???  (Read 7314 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: String Material???
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:44:01 pm »
Ditto on what PD said.I use FF Plus and three ply it using nine strands up to 60#.A string 60" long made that way will only weigh 70 to 80 grains with the serving.Thousands of shots and never has one broke.In my opinion using too many strands of FF Plus for a bow will make the string even stiffer yet thus endangering the integrity of your bow even more.I've never had a bow blow apart from using fast flight.But Asian horn bowyers because of the extreme reverse profile their bows have and stored energy shy away from it.B50,the closest thing to silks' quality is used there instead.
Company's like 3 Rivers don't want any feed back of broken strings so they always error on the side of more strands as a safety factor.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »
Dynaflight 97 is awesome stuff, better than FF in my opinion.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
pearlie talked me into tryin FF and it is great stuff
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 12:52:05 am »
hey guys. Thanks for all the advice.  I have ordered FF Plus.  I'll just start with that and see how it goes.

Weylin,

I would have guessed that string was 8 - 10 strands.  I'm wondering if the single strand diameter is less than B50.  Anyway I like it. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Greebe

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 01:07:15 am »
Hmmm,  I always thought that conventional wisdom was that you were not suppose to use FF on self bows.  I thought that this was because there is very little if no stretch on FF and it creates more shock and can break bows  Maybe I need to update my library. Hehe. ;D

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 01:37:47 am »
That's what I had heard as well... then I find out that all these incredible bowyers are using it with out issue!  I have heard that it's a good Idea to do some kind of tip overlay to protect string knocks....  I wonder if someone will weigh in on that...
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 02:38:06 am »
my recipe from pearlie, 2 bundles of 4 with 2 8" pcs of b-50 in the loops both bundles to pad the loops
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Greebe

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19:57 am »
So are you guys saying that B50 is no longer needed and all bows would be better off with FF?  The reason I ask is I was planning on getting some B50, but now you guys have me wondering.  I guess I have been scared away from FF for so long it is hard for me to go that route without worrying about hurting the bow.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 10:06:44 am »
This has come up often.  I've been shooting FF strings on my bows better than 15 years.  Never had problem one with any of them on any bow.  I was warned at the time that it would break a self bow.  Just never happened.  My FF strings for 45-55 lb bows are thinner today than they used to be, 8 strand (2 strands of 4) with a total of 4 extra strands at the loops.  Can't remember the last time one broke.  I still use Dacron for my tillering strings.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 10:47:47 am »
My opinion:

A lot of really great bowyers in this thread swear by it which is in itself a testament for FF or its equivalent. I bet they are making osage bows with nock overlays. I would certainly use overlays.a

This not so great bowyer tried tillering with FF on osage and it worked quite well even without an overlay.

On a red oak stave, I was going to tiller with it but then split a nock down to 6 in. on the first stringing. I ended up putting on gluing the split together and put on overlay. In over 500 bows or breaks I've never split a nock like that.

In conclusion, use overlays for insurance is my advice. I could be wrong. I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 11:20:24 am »
  I used the old fast flight a lot it works fine. A friend of mind made some out of spider wire I don't know how it compares to others but not that bad.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Weylin

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »
I suspect that some people had some bows break and wanted to blame it on something besides their design or tiller and decided it was because they switched to FF. (Not talking about you, Jawge) There's just been too many bows shot for too long of a time with FF for there to be a credible concern, in my opinion. As for tip overlays. They help for sure but in many cases they aren't strictly necessary. I've seen plenty of yew sapwood self nocks holding up just fine on hunting weight bows with FF. Keenan showed me a yew bow with self nocks that had tips I needed a microscope to see and it was holding up fine. That being said, I put overlays on almost all my bows for piece of mind and aesthetics.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »
Jawge is mostly right so far as my experiences go. Most of my bows are Osage so there you go. But when I started most everybody, 'round here anyway was using Osage almost exclusively. The "FF will cause your bows to break" was in an era before all these bows were being made from white woods.  Again, Jawges point is a good one in that FF strings may cut into softer woods unless overlays are used or you fatten the loops. I do one or both so never a problem. I believe it is one of those things that got said by a well meaning expert, was repeated as gospel for decades.  As Weylin said, so many people using it now without much ill effect.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 03:14:04 pm »
BCY DynaFLIGHT 97

I think the number is around 200 plus stings I've made in the past 2 years.

8-12 stands, and re-enforce the loops to 16 stands. I use .025 size material for the serving.

My rule of thumb is 45# and below selfbows can stand 8 stand

10-12 strand for anything 45-60#.

Above 60# I'd use 12-14 stands.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee