Author Topic: wildcherry  (Read 3076 times)

Offline EricWard

wildcherry
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:48 pm »
The neighbors just cut a huge wild cherry tree, and I was just wondering if cherry is bow worthy wood?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: wildcherry
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:27:07 pm »
Ive read mixed results with black cherry. Havnt tried it yet but its on my list of woods to try someday.
Steve Bennett

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:53:16 pm »
Try it and find out
I like osage

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:57:38 pm »
black cherry is absolutely bow worthy. i have had nothing but good results from it. i have made everything from ELBs to shortbows from it, and no problems yet. just gotta be a bit careful with the back, its picky about tension. pick a good ring with few defects and reasonable thickness for the back, be careful not to overstrain it in tillering, and you'll have a great bow :)
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Its hit or miss stuff...it can be touchy...I wouldn't waste my time with it when ya have plenty of other better available woods to ya Eric....but here's my experience with a cherry(pin cherry)...lol...what exact species are you referring too?...I'm assuming black cherry as many folks in your area call it wild cherry
Ed(beadman) gave me a chokecherry that I intend to sinew back cus most cherries are brittle n weak I. Tension as a unbacked self bow...
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37176.0/nowap.html

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:01 pm »
Heck if you don't make bows from it you could have it sawed for furniture depending on how big it is or lumber for small projects. It also darkens with age which is nice too.

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:36:55 pm »
I hate it.  I can never get it to dry right.  I take the bark off, seal it, then dry it in a garage for 5 months-a year, and it just breaks due to too much moisture being lost.

My conclusion:  Use it to smoke some ribs.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:45 pm »
I hate it.  I can never get it to dry right.  I take the bark off, seal it, then dry it in a garage for 5 months-a year, and it just breaks due to too much moisture being lost.

My conclusion:  Use it to smoke some ribs.

............ ;D  cherry is nice to work with, one of my faves, makes great furniture if nothing else.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 02:09:21 am »
I know some folks have made fine bows with it, but I have tried it several times and have only come away with one usable bow, and that was a 13#er I made for my grandson and I backed that one with rawhide.
My advice would be to put up a few staves, and when they are  well seasoned give it a try. You may love the stuff! Some of the guys do.
Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 03:31:00 am »
Like any wood you have to learn it's particular characteristics    ;)
Good in compression not so good in tension. Back with thin rawhide and you should be fine.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 06:14:31 am »
Once of my favourites, have a search on here for some of the ones i have made.
(just ignore the last one)  :laugh:

Makes a great fast bow but does need some care and you cant take the pish with it. Go atleast 65 66 and back with silk to be sure. All the bows i kept to these dimensions are nice bows. The last I pushed my luck way too far, 59 6 inch static handle, static recurves, what could go wrong????>:D
Definitely better in compression than tension. I have a tiny short bow i made from cherry and i have abused it on the tiller board and it will not chrysal.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 06:59:09 am »
Maybe it depends on the particular tree. I've had cherry fret quite easily. Cherry, if you stick with it, will hone your tillering ability...it's gotta be designed well and tillered perfectly.

I like to flatten the back and glue on a very thin piece of quartersawn hickory.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 09:41:27 am »
Its definitely worthy. You just need to take care with it. It won't take abuse or misuse during the build. I wouldn't expect to get warbows out of it, but it can make a great hunter if you treat it right. And its so darn pretty that its a shame not to a make a bow from it!

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 11:30:38 am »
Cherry in general "Likes to be pampered".
Good quote from Twilight And Mist.

Never made a successful bow from it, but go ahead.  Many people have!
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »
Cherry is bow wood. I believe it has one of the highest values of hysteresis. Unfortunately, it will chrysal easily if your tiller isn't perfect. I've made several backed flatbows with cherry and they're great shooters, but it's touchy wood.