Author Topic: American Holly  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

American Holly
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:54 am »
Anyone ever use holly for a bow or for risers/overlays?  Looks like its SG is high enough to possibly try a bow out of it. It is a very white wood and might make some nice contrasts as risers or overlays. Just trying to get some opinions on it if someone has worked with it. Searches didn't turn up much info. My uncle has several on his property that are plenty big enough for staves, but I don't want to cut one unless its decent wood.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: American Holly
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:03 am »
yup it will make a decent bow...just really white!  stain it..  I would say there are better woods out there, but there are so many, like holly, that make great bows but are used very little.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:49:22 am »
I just cut a stave myself. I have a bunch of them around me. Not sure yet what type of bow to make but curious to see what comes of it. What type bow are you thinking?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:23:50 pm »
I was thinking of a flat bow, parallel to mid limb, and straight taper to 1/2" tips. Stiff handle. 64"- 66" long. Not sure really what to try. I don't have any cut yet, other than some small sections for risers. I may wait and see how yours turns out.  >:D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:59:57 pm by Gsulfridge »
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:34 pm »
Bows have been made of holly before.
Proof 1.
Proof 2.
Proof 3.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286