Author Topic: Bow building with John Strunk  (Read 8901 times)

Offline snag

Bow building with John Strunk
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:50:07 pm »
Our traditional archery club was fortune to have John come over from the coast to spend 2 days with us. I had a rather challenging, and marginal, piece of yew that I thought would be fun to try and make a bow out of. It had many woodpecker spots on it and through it. So I think I'll call it "Woody".  It came out to 58#@27", 66" ntn.  I was hoping for 55-60 lbs...got lucky. Still have a lot of sanding,  more shaping of tips, put leather wrap on handle and put a finish on it.  I've shot it about 40 times. Marginal string follow so far.
Sure was a fun couple of days. Love the way John teaches and goes about making a bow.  Kind of reminds me of how a bush pilot that never went to any fancy flying school...just learned it by doing it.  And like this pilot there was times, as a passenger, that I felt a little afraid of the result! haha  One thing that needed to be addressed in this stave was a rather large decayed knot. Some yew sawdust had to be mixed with glue to fill the void. 
This bow really throws an arrow.  After it is done and I have spent time with it it may become my hunting bow this year. It really likes 60# douglas fir arrows.  The string passes almost center of handle.  I thought it would like 50/55#'s...but 55/60#'s are going to be more to it's liking.

Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline snag

Re: Bow building with John Strunk
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »
It has a little string follow.

Offline snag

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »
I'll post a picture later today of the bow being drawn.  The above picture looks like the lower limb is weaker...but it is not. It has 1/4" positive tiller and is so quiet.

One of our members, Nick, was generous to allow us to invade his large garage for this sawdust-fest.  Another member, Ron, made strings for the bows and we then served them.

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:18 pm »
Using some of John's tools I can see I will just have to make a couple of purchases.  I really like the spoke shave and rasp he had purchased from Dean Torges.
This is Nick's son, Jonathan, who is taking off some bark from a vine maple stave he was working.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 01:02:05 pm »
Well no wonder he wasnt home yesterday!

Looks like a good time.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »
Awesome! The time I spent working with Mr. Strunk was priceless. Are you guys the Black Rose Archers?

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »
Weylin, we are the Eugene group...TAB....The Adventurous Bowmen.  It seemed rather adventurous at times with that piece of yew! haha

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »
Cool...those are always fun times....and a little bit of follow ain't gonna hurt a thing in a yew bow..it still should have good cast because its yew ;)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »
You call that string follow!!???? Trust me bud that's nothing to be concerned about.
That's a fine bow. Keep it up.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 03:37:12 pm »
   very very cool, I spent 2 days at Johns house at one of his classes and it wasn't enough time. get as much time as you can w/him as you can,he is good people.
    everyone is right, that bow is just fine

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 03:54:40 pm »
Nice yew bow and what an experience having one of our masters teaching you the ropes.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 04:53:18 pm »
    Beautiful bow.  I spent time with John last month; best two days bow building in ages.  A real master!
Will you be bringing that bow to the Stick and Sage?  Hope to see you there.

Dave

Offline snag

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:41:55 pm »
I plan on being at the Stick and Sage also. I'll be driving a white Chevy with a canopy decal that says "Wilderness Custom Arrows" on the back window...stop by.

Yep, John is one of the good ones.  If I lived near him he'd get tired of seeing my face!  ;D

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33:16 am »
looks real nice Dave, look forward to seeing all of you at the stick and sage/. bowyers gathering.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:31:18 am »
Sounds like a good weekend,love to meet him someday,heard a lot of good things about him,Bow building and as a person. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good