Author Topic: Bad Bubbinga  (Read 897 times)

Offline fiddler49

Bad Bubbinga
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
I had about 500 shots on my Bubbinga and blood wood "Alaska take down molly" and at the last bag target two days ago the bottom limb gave out at full draw!!! THe bubbinga back and hickory core had broke but the blood wood belly was still intact. I had already replaced the bubbinga on the top limb with riff cut hickory so I took my belt sander with an 80 grit belt and removed all but about 1/ 32" of the core from the blood wood belly and glued on another flat sawn hickory core and riff cut hickory back with tite bond 3.
I shaped the limb profile with my angle grinder to match the blood wood back and just tillered the hickory back to the right limb thickness. Put the lever and bow string on and shasam!!!! The bow is back, still about 85 lbs at 31"!!!! In the future I will avoid tropical hard woods for backing!! My take down bow is really easy to repair. Only took about two hours to fix the bottom limb. The glue line did not fail just a splinter lifted in the middle of the bubbinga. I saw it a few targets earlier but it didn't look that bad. Oh well I'm still learning!!! cheers fiddler49

Offline lostarrow

Re: Bad Bubbinga
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:43:39 am »
I like your attitude ,Fiddler! When we stop learning , we die. ;)

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24:00 am »
Nice fix!   ;D  I'd have to say, if that gave out on me, it'd have been firewood.  :P
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:44 pm »
A classic tension failure.