Author Topic: Making a Tipi  (Read 7596 times)

Offline IsaacW

Re: Making a Tipi
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:46 am »
If you stick with older dry buffalo cows, you can get by for about $1800 each.

Yowsers... I went out to Ft. Belknap rez and got to hunt a cow from their "wild" herd and the whole deal... guide tip, tags and license, gas out there (from WI), food and a place to stay was just over $1,000. 

That still said... a hide tipi would be nuts expensive and difficult.  Heck, in my book, a canvas tipi is expensive. 

IW, who can make a wigwam in the woods for free
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 05:04:55 pm »
Cheap cavans or TARPS aren't super expensive, enough to make a tipi will probably run you less than $200.
Poles... if you are OK with bradford pear, they are free:P Invasive species...I totally insanely hate them!
Sew it up with some strong cord. Don't use nylon, it has this annoying problem of becoming weak in sunlight:(
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 07:28:51 pm »
tell didn't you used to live around corning, ca, they got a buff ranch out by black butte raising meat buffs, 100 for a raw hide, or a head
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 08:09:19 am »
There are a number of canvas tipi makers out there.Ranging in price from750 to 2000 dollars.Depending on how big you want it.That's just the canvas.For a family a whole summer you should have at least a 20 footer.That's measured accross the bottom of the tipi.Good luck making your own.You want a nice tight fit to the poles when you get her set up and that takes knowledge.Then you have to make the inside liner too because without that your tipi won't draft properly and it'll be like sleeping in a corn crib alley way filled with smoke.It really is a magical transformation of the use of mother natures elements to exist.A tried and true evolved over hundreds of years for efficiency shelter.A tipi is egg shaped at the bottom.Not perfectly round like some people think,and there are different styles also according to different tribes.A three pole set and a four pole set.Leaving a canvas tipi up for six months at a time will take it's toll on the very best of canvas.Another thing also it's the best durable in windy weather canvas shelter there is.It's round and wind has a hard time getting ahold of it.If you do this get the best straightest smoothest poles you can get.Lodge pole pine,spruce,or good fir.They are nostalgic to camp in that's for sure but I'm sure you would be hardening yourself up after six months.
To get you more familiar with tipis I'd suggest getting the series of the Books Of Buckskinning.I think there are eight out there at this time.
I've personally camped at many a rendezvous with an 18 footer and at this time use a 12 footer hunting camp type.18 poles are needed.15 for the set up,two for smoke flaps with one extra.An 18 footer will sleep 3 people comfortably while a 12 footer will sleep one and maybe two.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »
Probably nothing like anyone wants to do, but I love this idea.  This is from Wilson's work on Hidatsa Horse and Dog Culture.  It shows a simple shelter for on the move made from an old tipi cover and dog travois.
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold