Author Topic: #2 Mollegabet redoak board bow.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline crwjr

#2 Mollegabet redoak board bow.
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:29:24 am »
I have finished tillering my 2nd redoak Mollegabet board bow. It's 64" ntn and 2.5" wide working limbs 2" fades to a 3/4" square tips. It shoots 136-138fps at #45 26" with a 533gr maple shaft arrow spined 50-50#! from what I have seen on here it should be at least 145fps?!?! Question #1 is this a good set up for hunting or is the kinetic energy not there? Question #2 could I lose enough mass from rounding off the tips to a cylinder shape and make up the speed? Help needed with this please and thank you!
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: #2 Mollegabet redoak board bow.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »
I'm not a Red Oak guy, but 3/4" square tips are heavy.  Yes rounding will lighten them, but I would narrow them first.  Never ever worked Red Oak so I can't say how much, but I would think 1/2" wide at the nocks is wider than it needs to be.  That 1/4" will make a difference.  I would guess you can go more narrow than that. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 01:41:00 pm »
I can't say for sure about the speed but it sounds like it's a little slow. You could easily narrow the tips to 1/4" wide at the nocks and they would still be slightly thick for optimal mass reduction. Simply making the tips circular in cross section won't help nearly as much.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 01:48:52 pm »
How much thicker are your levers than the thinnest point of your working limb? If done right you should be able to have it 3/4" wide at the START of your lever tapering to .300" at the string groove ,and glue on tip ovelays,and you can actually go a hair less than that,but most people just don't have the cojones to do so. A front profile pic,and a side profile pic would help tremendously if you can provide them. Anyways if done like I said you will lose an ounce plus off of each lever,and when bows are weighed in ounces its a tremendous amount of loss and you should pick up some more fps for sure. If a molly isn't done right it won't be any better or faster(n could be slower) then a standard flat bow....you really have to get the levers to optimum design for it to have any "lever" advantage

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:24:14 pm »
My tips on non bending are 5/8" thick by 5/16 -3/8" wide on a 50 - 60 lb bow. They won't bend and still have lots of meat for side nocks. If you add an overlay and file a groove only on the face of it you could go thinner. I use pin nocks BTW. You can get a lot of weight off those tips  . That should make a big difference. I'm getting around 165fps.with Red Oak  molly-ish design 50#@ 28"  500 gr. arrow. (I only draw 26") I think the weight of the tips will make a big difference.Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:28:03 pm by lostarrow »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:16:47 pm »
Question #1 is this a good set up for hunting or is the kinetic energy not there?

Yes, this setup is good for hunting out to 25 yards, in my opinion.

Question #2 could I lose enough mass from rounding off the tips to a cylinder shape and make up the speed?

Probably not.  You can make up some speed by shooting a lighter arrow.  If your bow is 45#, then try shooting a 450 grain arrow and see if your speed picks up to 150 fps.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crwjr

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:42:26 pm »
Thanks for all tips, I thinned the tips from 3/4" at the fade to 1/2" at the tip. This got me to 141fps I'm not to upset with that speed, but is a 533gr arrow set up spined for #50/55 to heavy?
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »
Just measured the tips on my red oak mollie and their 3/4" deep but only 3/8" wide (I made it so long ago I couldn't remember) and rounded. At somewhere north of 55 lb (as high as the scale i had when i made it went) it runs over 170 fps when my release is good.
If you really wanna hunt with a primitive I'd get a clear piece of 1"x3" hickory sap wood and make a mollie from THAT. A trim shop will have them for mounting boards for wall cabinets (where I get mine).

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 02:19:46 am »
SpeEd doesn't matter that bow will get the job done
I like osage

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:09:14 am »
Thanks for all tips, I thinned the tips from 3/4" at the fade to 1/2" at the tip. This got me to 141fps I'm not to upset with that speed, but is a 533gr arrow set up spined for #50/55 to heavy?

Yes, it might be a little heavy but if the arrow shoots straight, you're fine.  You can always "paper tune" your arrows to get them flying straight off the bow.

(sorry about the training wheel bow in the picture :-\)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr