Author Topic: Powhatan bows  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Scallorn

Powhatan bows
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:21:42 pm »
I have been searching the internet all day, and I haven't been able to find pic's of the powhatan bows that are listed in Allely and Hamm's encyclopedia. I found the hand drawn pic's, but nothing from the museum of the actual bows. Do these pictures exist?

Offline half eye

Re: Powhatan bows
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:22:19 pm »
There are several databases that have photos of these bows. You probably need to search for "Pamunkey". You did not say which bow them fellas drew but there are pics of.... at least 3 different styles. Same thing with Potawatomii bows, one drawn and at least 3 different types.
rich

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:16 pm »
don't have the book handy but what museum did they come from?
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:08:46 pm »
American Museum of National History has a few Powhatan/Pamunkey bows that may be what you are looking for.  If you go here... http://anthro.amnh.org/north

Search for Bow and put "northeast" in the "USA Regions" field.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:29:44 pm »
Isaac, That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
Isaac, That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

No prob... I make poor bows, and shoot them like a mediocre archer, BUT... research and history I am good at.

IW
Aldo Leopold

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:25:49 pm »
Two Powhatan bows from IsaacW's ethnographic link

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.