Author Topic: Question about a stave I bought  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Joec123able

Question about a stave I bought
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:09:10 am »
I've bought a few staves of Osage from eBay and all of the staves had a number written on them my most recent stave was marked " 1-11" now I don't know if this means it was cut January 11 th of this year or January 2011 ???! Anyone on here that sells staves know ?
I like osage

Offline StickMan47

Re: Question about a stave I bought
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:36:53 am »
Hey Joe, IM not a seller but a fellow buyer. my staves were all marked with a number too but I think the numbers on mine were for the seller to keep track of which staves went to the buyer if he was selling multiple staves. I peruse the 'bay staves frequency and have only ever seen one that was dry or seasoned, and the seller noted that in the description. It sold a lot higher than normal. If I had to guess it wasn't cut in 2011 unless he noted that at the time of the auction.

A sure way to find out would be to go to your Ebay account. Go to your purchase history and find the seller. Send him an email and ask him if he remembers when it was cut or what his numbers mean.

If it turns out to be a two year old, then you may have lucked out and found the rare seasoned stave!
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:45:46 am »
Yea I figured a 2 year old stave was to good to be true from eBay most staves on eBay are recently cut
I like osage

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:53:51 am »
They usually disclose the Cut date in the description...it seams they all have a different method of marking the staves....but as mentioned before contact the seller for the most accurate decoding of the numbers ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 07:33:44 am »
Good advice above to ask the seller ,but I do mark mine like that and it would mean 1st month of 2011. :) I usually don't put the day,just month and year. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:02:13 am »
Month/Year ......majority of bowyers mark them this way

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:11:17 am »
Same here , month / year . If I split a big log I will mark the staves on the date I split the log also.