Author Topic: New bow idea/ tri limb/ forked limb?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline fiddler49

New bow idea/ tri limb/ forked limb?
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:06:43 pm »
I think this will work well with those bushy branch ridden bow trees. Alaska has many red elderberry bushes but the limbs a short and branch off. The wood is dense like hickory but you hardly see anything half straight longer than 3 feet. Lilac bushes are similar so here's a way to take advantage of this resource.  Take a forked limb, just like a branch for a sling shot but bigger/ longer and make bow handle right below the fork. You would need to split a two bundle bow string just above the fork and continue to the two upper limbs. To string, loop the upper limbs and flip upside down and then brace the lower limb. Shoot arrow between fork of upper limbs. Upper limbs would have half the draw weight each of the lower limb. I still have snow in the woods here so it might be a while before I can try this myself. Maybe one of you guys out there might try this yourself.  cheers fiddler49

Offline TacticalFate

Re: New bow idea/ tri limb/ forked limb?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:23:41 am »
hrmm, I'll have to try that :) I'm sure I could find a bit of buckthorn that'll work

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:25:23 am »
Use the fork as an arrow rest and it would be a true center shot.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:32:02 am »
One of my friends make the most amazing catapults you've ever seen and me and him were talking about combining a bow and a catty....my idea wasto make a catty with flexible forks so it draws as you draw the elastic.....then you get stored energy in the elastic and the limbs/forks never got round to making one of them  ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 03:33:59 am »
Sounds pretty freakin cool, good idea !
I like osage

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:29 am »
Sounds awsome! if you do get round to doing it let us know how it goes. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:36:41 am »
A slingshot upper with a lower bow limb...I wanna see this  >:D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 09:42:24 am »
Interesting concept.  My gut hunch is that the forked limbs would have to be perfectly balanced through out the draw to keep from splitting the crotch.  If you give it a go, I sure would like to see it!  Josh

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 11:10:28 am »
Interesting concept.  My gut hunch is that the forked limbs would have to be perfectly balanced through out the draw to keep from splitting the crotch.  If you give it a go, I sure would like to see it!  Josh

+1 on the crotch being highly likely to split.  You'd want to sinew wrap or otherwise provide somekind of extra support to that region.  Tillering the thing will be a trick too!  ...and stack based on mutiple sets of string angles is going to be creating fun too.

OneBow