Author Topic: drying hackberry?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline AH

drying hackberry?
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:56 pm »
I just received a stave of hackberry today. ;D
 I removed the bark and chased a ring, layed out the bow. The ends are sealed with polyurethane, but I found a check in one end that won't be in the finished bow. The wood is still green, as it was cut recently. After I chased a ring I sealed the back with polyurethane, as I did'nt want the check to travel down the back, or develop more checks on the back. My question is: can I rough it out now and then let it dry? or will it warp and check badly?  I am going for a flatbow design.

I am super impressed with this hackberry stuff. It's really easy to work!

I do not know why my computer is turning the pics sideways...ugh.

Offline Newindian

Re: drying hackberry?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:10:40 am »
I don't think ( key word there ) that hackberry has problems with warping you could just clamp it down to something though
I like free stuff.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:16:29 am »
Rough it out but leave it thick enough that it can't warp on you
I like osage

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:50:05 am »
Just leave it wide,at least a couple of inches from handle to tips and limb and inch or so thick,put it in a dry area for a week or 2 then thin and narrow some more.
That should do it with out wrapping and dry pretty quick.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:08 pm »
What's been said above, just makes sure the dimensions are even (same width all the way down, same thickness) so it dries evenly.  Had some elm i wasn't careful enuf on and it warped some.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:24:11 pm »
Yes,you can take it down to near bow dimension. Cut you a form from a 2X6,whatever shape you want,(be it DR,reflexed,straight,etc.)  ,then clamp your green stave down.Give it a full month ,then remove from the form,then bring it inside,or any dry place.Give it a few more weeks,then start weighing it.When it looks as if it will lose no more water weight,start your tiller.If it looks as if it is dry ,keep going. JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas