Author Topic: Red oak splinter?!?!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline crwjr

Red oak splinter?!?!
« on: April 19, 2013, 09:25:49 am »
I had a short brace on my almost finished board bow. I was bringing it short of full draw when I heard a light cracking sound. I stopped looked it over and found a small splinter starting to pop up. I took the string off and sanded it down then glued a silk backing onto it! Before I short braces it I had been exercising the bow on the tiller tree and had no signs of a probablem. It was a little stiff from midlimb to tip fade. And the splinter happened just past the riser fade! My question. Do you think I have saved this bow with the glued backing, or is a splinter a lost bow? No pics my computer is down and I can't post pics from my phone! Sorry bout that. Anyone gave a simmaler probablem or a better fix??? Thanks  -Carter
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Red oak splinter?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:31:42 am »
Did it pop up right at the area you cut in the fad ? in the middle of the limb or on the edge ? it is common for one to pop up where the fad was cut in if it ever bends there even the least amount.  :) and yes pictures would help if you can get some up. Lots of splinters can be repaired,sometimes it takes more than just glue and a backing,depending on where it is and how bad. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crwjr

Re: Red oak splinter?!?!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:04 am »
Pappy, it popped up a 1/2" from the edge of the back and about 2" from the riser fade. The splinter was about a mm long. I was able to sand it down so I could not feel it anymore.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small