Author Topic: Knappable rock in northeast texas  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Scallorn

Knappable rock in northeast texas
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
I live about an hour northeast of Dallas, just south of the red river. is there any knappable stone in this area? I have knapped a ton of glass, and I'm ready to work something else, but I can't find any flint here.

Offline xin

Re: Knappable rock in northeast texas
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:07:26 pm »
I live in Grayson county, 1 hour north of Dalllas.  There is nothing knappable here in spite of the extraordinary amount of limestone.  Generally good knappable chert is found associated with limestone, yet there is nothing knappable here.  I see a trip in your  future either north or west.  Or, you could do as I do and order stone from Curtis Smith.  He has some great chert.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:51 am »
You could take a trip west to brazos river below possum kingdom dam. Lots of chert in there but fist size or smaller on the gravel bars. Just about anywhere along the I35 corridor starting around Waco and south. Check out the creeks and road cuts and such.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:45 am »
My deer/hog lease is up not too far from the Red River northeast of Dallas.  It's over northwest of Paris.  We might have to meet up sometime, I'll bring some rock for you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:12:16 am »
Sounds good to me George. I live in paris, so that would be good  :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:23 am »
If you're really anxious for rock, drive on over.  I live just outside Wylie.   Doesn't take much to get me to get out the knapping tools.  I should probably get out the turkey roaster and heat treat another batch.

George
St Paul, TX