Author Topic: ?? about a yew stave with belly cracks  (Read 1933 times)

Offline danny f

?? about a yew stave with belly cracks
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »
hi there
 i picked this stave up today after having it for a good while. when i first roughed it out i kept it in the house and i think it has dried to quickly. there are very fine cracks all over the belly. i have reduced the sapwood to just about a quarter inch. and i would of liked to have some heartwood left showing if poss. the thing is i think the cracks go pretty deep. so i dont want to try and take much more wood off and end up with nothing left. i know yew can take some stress but am wasting my time with this stave or is it doable? the stave is 63" long about an inch wide and has about 2" of reflex.  i have the opposite split to this piece which i didnt reduce so hopefully that one will be ok.  thanks for any advice.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: ?? about a yew stave with belly cracks
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »
Longitudinal are generally not a problem, unless they run off the side.
Is the centre of the branch/trunk still inside the satve. If so then the cracks probably only go down to the centre pith.
I'd just flood 'em with low viscosity superglue and...
Keep calm
   and
Carry on.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »
if they do not run off onto the edges, or NEAR the edges, fill ALL of them with cyanoacrylate glue(superglue).
You might also want to back that if they run into the Yew sapwood.
make sure the Heartwood is thick enough on the belly.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:32:21 pm »
thanks for the advice. this is a quarter split from a decent sized branch. so i think the centre has been rasped away. i dont think any of the cracks run off the side so thats good. i was worried that i would have to remove enough wood to get rid of them altogether  and end up with nothing left. i will fill them with super glue and carry on and hope for the best. i dont mind if i only end up with a lighter weight bow. its better than getting none. thanks again danny.  :)