Author Topic: Wanting To Redo My Osage Bow  (Read 4873 times)

tradrick

Wanting To Redo My Osage Bow
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:34 pm »
The osage bow that I started at the Tenn.Classic I like alot.The problem is it has to much handshock.String alignment is good from NTN.I shoot arrows a little over 10 gpp.This was discussed before and I believe it was PatB that recommended narrowing the tips.Which I narrowed some but still not enough.I think there 5/8 or a fraction wider now with maple tip overlays.I'm wanting to go back and narrow them to a true 1/2'' and put on deer antler overlays.I had the bow on the scales the other day and it was 47#@28''.How much draw weight do you think I'll loose by doing this?And just curios is it to late to flip the tips a little to improve string follow?Thanks tradrick

Offline adb

Re: Wanting To Redo My Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 01:24:05 pm »
Hi,
I don't think you'd lose any draw weight by lightening the tips.
Hand shock? Can you send full draw pics? If the limbs are out of time, if the bow is poorly tillered, or the bow bends through the handle, it'll have more hand shock.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:51:31 pm »
Heavier arrows, heavier string, and keep narrowing the tips...shouldnt lose any weight if your tips werent bending before. The bow I built at the classic had the same scenario, when I went to Mojam a few months later I went ahead and flipped the tips, boy that really helped the cast out alot. Hope this helps....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:37:32 am »
I agree with Koan on the flipping of the tips or adding some reflex in the outer 1/3, that is one thing that I have found to reduce hand shock. Also thinner tips like you said.  On my bows 1/2 is still wider than I normally make the tips.
I like the last 5 or 6 inches of the limb tips to be stiff,  a narrower but thicker/deeper profile will acheive this with less wood making the tips lighter, less hand shock and faster bow.
Mark

tradrick

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:56:31 pm »
Thanks for the comments.Flipping the tips is something I would like to try.This bow is already shot in and each limb has taken a different amount of set.Which is probably were the handshock comes in.Any recommendations on how much bend to try and put in the tips.The bow is 67''tip to tip,65''NTN.It is 5/8''@ the tips and is 11/2''@ midlimb.When laying the bow on a flat level surface and measureing the amount of set.The top limb measures 13/4'' and the bottom limb measures 11/4''.I'm thinking this bow could be a real shooter by narrowing and flipping the tips.Does anyone have measurements or plans for building a form to flip the tips?Which would be better to use a heat gun or steam.Or does it matter.Thanks tradrick

P.S.Below are pics of the bow now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 01:30:53 pm »
I thought you were tring to fix a messed up bow, thats a good looking bow! Nice tiller.  The usal advice is to just make another one incoperating the modifications you want.    If you flip the tips or add reflex you may very well have to retiller.   Also if you mess with the tips you could transfer more stress to the inner limb causing more set.   I am a fan of reflexing and flipping the tips but I just thought I would share the possible draw backs also.
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 01:43:56 pm »
I would use dry deat with a little oil to prevent scorching. You don't have to flip the tips too much. Just a few inches will make a difference. A large coffee can(or wooden form with that curvature) will give you the right amount of bend and I would only kick them 2" to 3" at most. I like to clamp the bow in the form and heat it until gravity and the weight of the bow will pulls the tips around the form. You will have to adjust the sideways movement and twist while it is still hot and let it cool over night.
   From the looks of your tips, you can reduce the width and they would still be strong enough. I usually go about 3/8" wide at the string grooves, or less if possible.   The minute amount of difference in set shouldn't make any difference.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 02:02:42 pm »
I only flipped my tips about 3/4" and it made a great change in performance, raised the draw weight 4# also. But my bow is only 58" and bends thru the handle a bit @ 27"...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

tradrick

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:56:44 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys.The tiller on this bow is pretty good I think and I can hit decent with it at huntin distances.I guess I just got spoiled shooting laminated recurves and longbows with no noticable handshock.I'll take it one step at a time,first narrow the tips and add antler overlays.To see what kind of difference it makes then go from there.I would like a few extra pounds of draw weight and speed from adding some reflex.I would like about a 53 to 55#bow.I know there's selfbows out there that shoot as sweet as any laminated bow I just have'nt built one yet lol.Thanks as usual guys.tradrick

PatB what kind of oil do you recommend?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:14:13 pm »
I use olive oil because thats what we have. Any oil will work but vegitable oil won't have an offensive smell to animals.  You can remove an inch or so from each tip(length) to increase weight. I make most of my osage bows 60" to 64" t/t.    If you are gonna kick the tips, you should before you reduce their width. That way if you do have to adjust after you flip them you can remove wood from one side or the other to get it to line up.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC