Author Topic: Bow lenght vs. draw lenght  (Read 1575 times)

Offline bow101

Bow lenght vs. draw lenght
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:11:30 pm »
When does the length of a bow become the deciding factor regarding a desired draw length.
E.G. 64" NTN draw 28" ......assumming that the bow is a non-bendy handle. Could you build a bow that is 58" with a draw of 28" having a stiff handle..?  what is the limit....?

E.G.

70"-----28" 30"
68"-----28"
66"-----28"
64"-----28"
62"-----28"
60"-----..?"
58"-----..?"
56"-----..?"

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow lenght vs. draw lenght
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:58:11 pm »
I've built a few 60"t/t (58"n/n)static recurves, a few osage and one elm. Even though I draw 26" I usually build my bows to draw 28" and all of these recurves have handled it. All of these bows would bend slightly in the handle at full draw, just enough to feel when you are there. You could go shorter with a straight limb bow but the stack and finger pinch would be a problem.
  A good rule of thumb is 2x your draw length + 10% but your tiller better be right on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:09 am »
The length is not the deciding factor, the flexibility of the limbs is the deciding factor.  Finger pinch can be overcome in various ways.

Like Pat said, the length should be no shorter than 2x draw length, for a bendy handle self bow.  This a good rule of thumb for the average bowyer.  That would mean 56" for 28" draw.  If you add a 6" unbending portion for the handle and fades, then that would translate to a 62" bow.  But it looks like you know that already.

I've seen a 28" draw on a 48" bendy handle bow... in The Traditional Bowyer's Bible.  It was nearly 3" wide, if I remember correctly.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:59:17 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:13 am »
The bow I just posted http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39224.0.html is 58 1/2" ntn and was tillered out to 28", but the new owner has a 27" draw, and has a 9" stiff handle. It does stack a little as you approach 28" but it wasn't bad.
SW Utah

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:46:55 am »
IMO too many stiff grips are waaay too long.
But the real answer is, it depends on the wood, the style of the bow, the skill of the bowyer and how much of a challenge they want.
Dunno why, but we all seem to like trying to make the impossible.
I've currently got a long party ballon full of Italian mountain air which I'm hoping to glue a back and belly on to ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 07:44:33 pm »
I've currently got a long party ballon full of Italian mountain air which I'm hoping to glue a back and belly on to ;)
Del

Lol, whatever that means      :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell